ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

tackling an Artifact-y Greenscreen with Primatte Keyer...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
boob weisz
tackling an Artifact-y Greenscreen with Primatte Keyer...
on Dec 13, 2016 at 7:04:37 am

Sigh. Another successful shoot, another unsuccessful greenscreen.

So this time I've encountered a new problem (for me). The chromakey comes back with lots of noise. Even when I key out most of the green, there's a ton of green artifacts in the "aura" around the subject.

Footage is 2K, shot flat. MXF files. Filmed at 48fps (maybe the low lighting is the cause of the noise?)

Luckily I can use the big guns this time: Primatte Keyer.
But unluckily: I don't know how to use it that well.

Here are some examples, split into three stages.
1) No keying. Just the Garbage Matte.
2) simple key with Primatte Keyer (Select BG tool & several passes of Clean BG)
3) complex key with Primatte Keyer (some fine-tuning. De-artifacting set to "DV/HDV". Cheating with Defocus Matte & Shrink Matte)

Faces have been blurred to protect the innocent.

Full Frame (sides cropped to save space):

zoomed to Top of the Head:

zoomed to Inside The Armpit:

FYI, the background here is the intended background. It was filmed as a plate, then the greenscreen was erected and we shot the subject with the same lighting set-up (though obviously the greenscreen got its own lights). We're intending to comp in elements between the subject and the background.

Any advice on what further tools I can use in Primatte Keyer? I'm not exactly sure if I should be using the Spill Sponge or what?

Or is there another recommended plugin/method? I also have AE, if that's what floats your boat.

Thanks ahead of time!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: tackling an Artifact-y Greenscreen with Primatte Keyer...
on Dec 13, 2016 at 8:50:32 am

Usually the only way to deal with noisy footage (and yes, it's the low lighting which is causing you grief here most of all) is to run it through Neat Video:

https://www.neatvideo.com/

(Of course, there are other keyers on the market besides Primatte that might do a better job, but let's not get into that here.)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]