ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe premiere acts like it's saving but doesn't update the file

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Babcock
Adobe premiere acts like it's saving but doesn't update the file
on Dec 13, 2016 at 3:45:50 am

So today I had an assistant editor that passed off a file with a bunch of mistakes he swore he'd fixed. Via dropbox I could see that the file had been saved many times over that period but after downloading and testing those versions none actually showed any of his changes, so next I checked the autosave vault and sure enough his work was there.

Has anyone run into this before? I remember this bug from the FCP7 days but I was surprised to see crop up again. Thanks for the help!

This was on a 2013 Mac Pro running 10.10.5 with CC2015.3 installed.

Return to posts index

James Sullivan
Re: Adobe premiere acts like it's saving but doesn't update the file
on Dec 13, 2016 at 10:29:59 pm

Could be a permissions issue with where he was saving it? was it a network drive? the new versions of Mac OS do wierd things with network drives. You think your ok until your not.

James

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Dec 14, 2016 at 5:18:18 am
Last Edited By Matt Babcock on Dec 14, 2016 at 7:13:09 am

Hey man! Thanks for helping out!

I think you're on the right track, I took a look at the permissions on a few projects files and there are differences, some files allow Staff to read only and other allow read write. Now I just have to figure out why they are different and if it's actually causing the problem. Thanks for getting me going in the right direction man. My two main clients are in finishing crunch so I'm a little brain dead at this point.

Return to posts index

James Sullivan
on Dec 14, 2016 at 1:35:23 pm

No worries! I had a heart attack the other day as I thought I had saved some stuff but had to pull up the auto save version. There is some voodoo I don't understand between where that project file is allowed to live and Yosemite or newer.

My next research project is to figure out how to get FCP X projects to live on my NAS. I have to change the way I mount my storage to SAMBA but god knows what that will break in the process.

Hope the crunch does not beat you up too much.

James

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Dec 14, 2016 at 3:33:25 pm

I've gotten rusty on permissions, now that I don't manage an xsan they almost never come up. The strange part about the permissions issues I was seeing is the incorrect permissions were just more relaxed than the correct ones so I don't get how they could have caused it but I also don't believe in coincidences so I'm sure this has to be the root of the issue or at least related to it. I'll let you know what I find as I keep pulling that thread.

I haven't dug into FCPX still but I think I remember reading an article about how sparse bundles were the solution to FCPX and SANs. Actually I think it was a video series on the cow from Magic Feather. I chatted with them a bit after the video series cause I dug what they were doing with it.

https://library.creativecow.net/davidson_john/FCPX-On-Air/1

Return to posts index

James Sullivan
on Dec 14, 2016 at 8:48:48 pm

The bombshell in the latest 10.3 update is that they finally support libraries living on a NAS. Just not over AFP....

But your right the sparse disk image was the original answer if not complete cluster$€?? at the same time.

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]