ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

lowest spec "reasonable" computer

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Grealish
lowest spec "reasonable" computer
on Dec 13, 2016 at 2:42:46 am

My desktop which served me well for many years (i5 2500k, 460 GTX) just hit the crapper and I'm no rich dude, but from what i've seen there are laptops on ebay with comparable specs for $300 and below ( i7 quad core and cuda gpu w/ +60gb/s bandwidth).

note that i do not edit video beyond 720p and do not use many effects or transitions. I mostly work with footage i get off the internet which can come in many different formats, i don't know how involved GPU is with this.

I also do not care much about export times, but i do not like to render during workflow which i never have to do now since i do not use effects. I am mostly concerned with my workflow being as smooth as possible.

my question is do I even need that strong of a gpu?

and if so how usable are opencl cards? would firepro 5950m with 60 gb/s bandwidth be better than quadro 1000m with 30 gb/s bandwidth.

thanks all.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: lowest spec "reasonable" computer
on Dec 13, 2016 at 3:15:25 am

read this very carefully. then report back
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adob...

also, the version of premiere matters a lot for ram allocation, cpu speed?
did you use to render during workflow? premiere now has proxies.
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/proxy-media.html

the old cs6 could work files offline manually, or you could simply copy to master folder
what version of premiere do you have?

Return to posts index

Steve Grealish
on Dec 13, 2016 at 11:25:05 pm

Thanks for the response, are you inferring that my other computer wasn't using CUDA because I don't use many effects or transitions? (as outlined in the article)

I've tried to get to the bottom of this CUDA thing before, (ie switching to software mode to see if that made a difference). Scrubbing seemed choppier when I did and I can tell you my card gets very hot when in MPE mode.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 14, 2016 at 5:02:42 am

i can't recommend any system directly unless you know which version of adobe premiere you want to use.
example:
cs6 4gb ram intel core 2 duo, 7200 rpm hd
cc 2017 8 GB ram multicore proc.

for smooth editing, using a proxy with cineform, negates worrying about a slow cpu, but still needs
a decent hd disk speed. ssd's are getting very cheap now. find one that matches your footage's r/w speed.

720p is only a resolution. h.264 720p takes 4x faster processor than cineform 720p for realtime editing.
and multiple video tracks will suddenly bog down a 7200 rpm disk. you can get a 850 pro for $100.

don't forget frame rate, frame size get gpu accelerated as well, so software mode may not be your best bet.

since you posted your budget is $300, try to find a i-7 quad with a cheap cuda gpu and a modest SSD. should be okay for 720p.
you might have better luck buying a laptop with a gutted drive, then install ssd yourself.

Return to posts index

Steve Grealish
on Dec 14, 2016 at 7:37:58 am

Chances are I won't be able to find something that can fit 2 internal SSDs. Will the 850 be enough for all my stuff? I was thinkin about paring something like that with a fast external I already have, sandisk extreme 480gb, for media cache.

and to be clear, opencl on windows is a definite no go, regardless of superior bandwidth of some amd cards?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]