ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Can my system handle 4k well?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin MatlukCan my system handle 4k well?
by on Dec 12, 2016 at 6:11:32 pm

Haven't found a sticky or other posts on this forum about this, just a simple question which I'm sure gets asked a lot....
I haven't worked with 4K on my system yet and wondering how well it will handle editing larger-scale projects shot in 4k. I know I can compress the files for offline editing but not sure how the final render would be....

Specs are as follows -
Mac Pro Tower (Early 2009)
2x2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor
16GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 MB

I'm looking at adding more Ram in the future, but do I need to update my graphics card as well? any recommendations???
Thanks everyone

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Can my system handle 4k well?
by on Dec 12, 2016 at 6:35:38 pm

No. Underpowered processor, half the minimum RAM needed...old graphics card. VERY old computer in general. 4K cutting requires very fast processors, current top of the line. And a GPU with at least...LEAST 4GB if not 8GB. And then you need a very fast RAID to play that back.

And then, what type of 4K? R3D? H.264? AVCS? Decompressing many 4K formats requires even more horsepower.

No, with your old computer you can deal with compressed for offline. 7 years old is OLD for a computer.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kevin MatlukRe: Can my system handle 4k well?
by on Dec 12, 2016 at 6:57:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Shane. In your opinion, how much do you estimate I could sell this system for? Included is 4 Drives with almost 4 TB Storage....

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: Can my system handle 4k well?
by on Dec 12, 2016 at 7:00:22 pm

At work I'm on a Mac Pro Mid 2010, 32GB RAM, 2x2.93 6-Core and NVIDIA Quadro FX4800.
It was originally my Mac Maya box but now acts as Resolve. AE and Premiere station.
With 4K DCI footage I am able to cut in Premiere and FCPX easily.
I haven't done any full features on this one but it seems to do well with R3Ds.
It was great with the ROCKET card but I didnt see any use for it anymore.

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Can my system handle 4k well?
by on Dec 14, 2016 at 6:19:59 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Dec 14, 2016 at 6:20:28 pm

If you set playback for the lowest setting 1/4 res I think, and upgrade to 32gb ram and a newer better
4gb ram gpu, you should be able to edit just fine. perhaps a bit bumpy, but doable.

That's what both my 2009 mac pro's have. (and a very fast raid)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]