ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Recording setup and editing advice.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irving Walker
Recording setup and editing advice.
on Dec 11, 2016 at 1:48:54 pm

I am soon to take on the filming for a band and hope to make it successful and do many more. I know a bit about filming and basics of prem pro but there is still a lot to learn and get right before the shoot. This is what I have so far...

2x GoPro hero black
2x Panasonic camcorders 1080p
1x Sony DSLR 1080p
1x iPhone 7 plus with DGI go gimbal

Location will be a barn or warehouse so hopefully a decent amount of natural light inolved.

What I am thinking of purchasing....

Basic set of softbox lighting
A tripod jib

I am aware of a few things to consider...

Insert four drum hits at start of track for camera syncing

Try to get cameras to shoot as neutral colour as possible.

What I am thinking....

Shoot all in 16:9 and add the black bars in post to create a cinema scope effect I am looking for. Not all cameras I have can shoot in other formats so this seems the best option.

There is some advice I am looking for...

One camera will be front and centre for the 'main shot'. Should this be a GoPro in 4K so I can crop in and create pans etc in post or would a GoPro not be as good for this and I am better using the dslr in 1080p? Or maybe use both for same shot and use GoPro for cropping in?

Any tips at all for getting all the cameras looking the same. This is my biggest worry as colour correction and grading is not something I have experience of.

There will be multiple takes with close ups etc so I want to make sure things are organised well. Once I add all the media to prem pro should I use a multi cam edit? The videos I have seen on this usually only have 2-3 shots to work with and I am wondering if with 10+ potential shots is this the best method?
It seems to create one track once you do the multi edit, but what if I change my mind on some of the shots. Can I go in and re-edit certain sections?

I think I have covered most things but if I have missed important info then let me know.

All and any advice for a shoot like this is massively appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Recording setup and editing advice.
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:19:29 pm

iPhones shoot at variable frame rates, which you DO NOT want. There's an app to shoot at a fixed frame rate. You need to get it.

And make sure ALL the cameras shoot at the same frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Irving Walker
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:22:30 pm

Ah yeah. I do have filmic pro app where you can set things like aspect ratio and fps, along with white balance and a few other bits. Going to go for 25fps throughout I think as this seems fairly standard and not sure a high fps will look 'right'.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:40:50 pm

Unless all cameras will also be recording audio locally you might consider adding a single burst of a photographer's strobe at the beginning as well. It will be on only one frame and make (visually) syncing up camera rolls rather simple.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]