ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Replace Dynamically Linked After Effects Composition

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Demian KrentzReplace Dynamically Linked After Effects Composition
by on Dec 10, 2016 at 6:15:57 pm

Am I missing the option where you can change the link for a dynamically-linked AE comp within Premiere?

Typically, I version comps within AE. _1, _2, _3, and so on. But the only way to replace a dynamically-linked comp in Premiere seems to be to delete the _1 AE comp in Premiere, import the _2 comp, and manually drop it into the timeline and hope for the best? Or import the _2 version, and option replace the _1 version in the timeline. What if I've sliced and diced the _1 version so it's not as simple as an option replace?

I'm aware of various workarounds (nesting, pre-comping, etc.), but why should I need to jump through even that minor hoop when, in virtually every other Adobe app created in the last ten years, there are options to specify a new link?

Any advice?

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: Replace Dynamically Linked After Effects Composition
by on Dec 10, 2016 at 9:26:22 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Simple -- ADOBE SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED. It's getting worse as people move further into Creative Cloud. Get used to it."

Don't you think that's a pretty harsh assessment? The post relates to a function that never existed, nor has been advertised in the way described. If you create AE_comp_1 and then version it into AE_comp_2, there's nothing in the software linking to tell Premiere that they are the same. So you have to manually re-edit AE_comp_2 into the timeline. To my knowledge, it's never been otherwise, but I could be wrong.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Replace Dynamically Linked After Effects Composition
by on Dec 10, 2016 at 10:27:33 pm

A few suggestions here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/960843 see if that solves you workflow issue and let us know.

If you feel there should be an even better feature, please submit it in adobe's wishform.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Demian KrentzRe: Replace Dynamically Linked After Effects Composition
by on Dec 11, 2016 at 6:07:58 pm

Ignoring LaRonde's usual useless rants, I have to say thanks for the decent tip, Roei. The offline/re-link option doesn't work, but pointing to a master AE pre-comp does.

So, even though it is disappointing that Premiere doesn't have an option to directly re-link linked comps (at least not one that I can make work in CC 2017), my workflow will probably be something like this from now on:

• Create comp in AE (A)
  • In Premiere, choose Adobe Dynamic Link > New After Effects Composition (B)
  • In AE, precompose A into B
  • Edit in Premiere with newly imported B comp

This way, all I have to do is keep the B comp in AE updated with the latest version of the A comp. So far, all edits are updating perfectly.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 11, 2016 at 11:05:20 pm

[Demian Krentz] "The offline/re-link option doesn't work, but pointing to a master AE pre-comp does."

interesting. where does it fail exactly? I have tested this now and this works for me.

1. I have a live Ae composition as a clip in premiere
2. in Ae I create another version
3. in premiere I right click on the live composition in my timeline->make offline->files remain on disk (make a shortcut if you need to do this a lot)
4. in premiere right click->link media-> locate ->find the new aep file and click OK
-

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Demian KrentzRe: Replace Dynamically Linked After Effects Composition
by on Dec 12, 2016 at 12:51:59 am

Yes, but when choosing "link media" there's no option to choose which comp within the AE project is linked. Unless, of course, I delete or re-name the old comp - an odd (and slightly dangerous) workaround indeed.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 12, 2016 at 1:23:26 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Dec 12, 2016 at 1:33:44 am

I see I accidentally thought you were instancing project names and not comps... if this was necessary for my workflow , I think I would be naming my comp as "Live Comp" in AE and inside create a precomp of my current footage and this will be my "Working Comp" which I could version up WorkingComp_1,2,3 etc. this way when I want, I could just change the version inside my Live Comp by using replace source Ctrl+alt+/ with the Workingcomp I want in the project window and this will be the one that premiere is seeing. maybe it's exactly what you had in mind since it seems similar to what you were saying.

seems useful to me if there was a way for the live composition to be tagged in some way in Ae...

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]