on Dec 10, 2016 at 2:36:43 am Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Dec 10, 2016 at 2:38:05 am
I'm curious where After Effects and Premiere Pro handle their color management to the viewer. I have dual monitors - a 20" Apple Cinema and a 27" Dell. When I open an image in Resolve, Photoshop, FCPX, Motion or Quicktime, I can shift the image back and forth between monitors and they more or less match.
However, when I open an image in Premiere Pro or After Effects, the viewer on the Dell looks more saturated, darker and a bit redder than on the Apple. An exported QT or screen grab matches what I see on the Apple, not the Dell. Basically the AE and PPro viewers are wrong when positioned on the Dell screen.
So, I'm curious what's going on and whether it can be corrected. I don't think it's a calibration issue, because of the match with the other applications. It seems to be application-specific. System is a Mac Pro tower with current macOS and all current app versions. Thoughts?
99% of premiere is force interpreted into rec. 709 including dynamic link and mercury transmit. The other 1% is HDR rec. 2020 via meta tags in jpe2000, exr, and special h.264.
after effects supports a vast array of color management, so it's not limited like premiere. the thing is, its not automatic like quicktime player or FCPX which have....
Some old gamma info.
1. calibrate your monitor to one or the other.system preferences>Displays) to 1.8
2. use gamma tags legacy and in quicktime properties enable FCP legacy
3. Final Cut Pro/System Settings/Playback Control. Change Gamma Correction from Accurate to Approximate
4. fcp individual clips - Editing tab, "Imported Still / RGB Video Gamma". choose source 1.80, 2.20
5. for playback, QuickTime preference, General tab: "Enable Final Cut Studio colour compatibility"
6. in AE, Choose File > Project Settings. "Legacy Quicktime Gamma" preference via render queue, not export https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/quicktime-movies-too-dark-light.ht.....
7. AE's utility profile converter, set input as rec. 709 16-235, output as 0-255 rec. 709 or visa versa if wrong direction.
I ended up messing around with the settings and got something that seems to work. Using the auto-detected Dell monitor profile seems to be wrong. If I set it to the Cinema display profile in Sys Prefs and then adjust the monitor calibration, I get results that are close on both displays and where FCPX's viewer image and Premiere's viewer image are consistent. The image is much closer to "right" that before.