ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Smart Object linking in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Callahan
Smart Object linking in Premiere Pro
on Dec 8, 2016 at 10:33:31 pm

Hi all, first post here in a while. I work in pharma video and have been having to do some fixes to a few webcast programs we produced a few months back.

I was provided slides as .psd files; there are about 20 individual layered comps with both text and smart object layers. The text layers have been cooperating fine, but literally every time I go back to commit changes to this program, all of my smart objects except the initial one in each of the nested sequences are offlined and I have to manually relink one-by-one by reimporting the .psd document as a sequence (adding yet ANOTHER folder and turning this into a media management nightmare) and copy-pasting the layers into the old comp and applying the effects data individually to each layer.

Additionally, although I will have, say, 3 smart object layers in a sequence, no matter which one is chosen, if I click on the layer and point to (Right Click -> Reveal in Project) It will reference back to the one that did not have offline issues initially (read: if I select 4 different smart objects in a sequence and individually have Premiere point to that layer in the project panel, Premiere will still point to the initial object that was not offlined in every instance).

I believe the problem stems from how the layers are named in the comps I was provided. If there are 3 smart object layers in a composition, Premiere will load the first object and offline the other two; I'm guessing because it doesn't know how to differentiate between two layers with the same name. Has anyone had any experience with this problem? I have had to make 6 changes to this program in the last two months and having to relink all this content every time really hurts my workflow. I was thinking about consolidating the project and having Premiere change the file names through that process. Any suggestions about a good way to circumvent this tedium? My initial thought for a fix is to have Premiere rename each layer to a unique destination. But from what I've read, consolidation does file renaming based on how it is shown in the sequence, these are all labeled as the same "Smart Object". Does anyone have a simple method for solving this issue? It's slowly turning into a nightmare.

I have the slides nested and they output fine once I everything is all said and done, so I don't believe this is a nesting issue. Also, this has shown up on CC2015.3 and CC2017, so I don't believe it's version specific. I'm hoping that the only answer is NOT going back and manually resetting the name of each Smart Object manually, because time in addition to the referencing issue I've mentioned above prohibits me from doing that.

Please help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]