ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Migrating from Avid Media Composer to Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus TaylorMigrating from Avid Media Composer to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 7:31:19 pm

Hi,

I am in an unusual situation in which I might have to use both software NLEs for a future project.

The big problem is that my future project will upon using a lot of sound effects dutifully organized within the Avid. Ideally, we just want to migrate the 'library' of sound effects to PP so that it can mirror the project in the Avid.

Migrating sequences as AAFs to PP has been outlined a number of times, but no one has described how individual clips are moved? What about sound clips? audio sound effects? music files?

Has anyone migrated clips these audio files from Avid Media Composer to PP? (I would add that the library is a collection of audio clips in the form of mxf, wavs, and aiffs.)

any thoughts-suggestions appreciated

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Migrating from Avid Media Composer to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 9:32:41 pm

Hi Marcus....

PPro isn't based on a Database like the Avid is.

PPro just wants to know where media lives, by path.

That being said I guess some things I'd ask are:

Are you concerned about a Bin structure from avid?

is your intent to search that at any time from any project?

The way your asking seems to indicate

a) access to media
b) discoverability
c) organization

I may not have the answers....but I'm chiming in to help shape the discussion...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Migrating from Avid Media Composer to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 9:44:04 pm

Hi Marcus....

PPro isn't based on a Database like the Avid is.

PPro just wants to know where media lives, by path.

That being said I guess some things I'd ask are:

Are you concerned about a Bin structure from avid?

is your intent to search that at any time from any project?

The way your asking seems to indicate

a) access to media
b) discoverability
c) organization

*** EDIT *** I remember this from last year....maybe useful to you....

http://aescripts.com/quickimporter/

watch the vid. Not sure if it supports all your file formats tho.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Marcus TaylorRe: Migrating from Avid Media Composer to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 10:07:37 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding.

Yes Avid has it's own unique way of media management i.e the file names do not match exactly with the clip name in a Media composer bin. In PP, it seems that the clip name in the browser is the actual file name.

So the question is: how does PP handle those files from Avid?

One solution might be taking all the sound effects in a bin (350 files) and creating a sequence of all of them cut togther. An AAF of this sequence (from the Avid) would be imported into PP. I think then the 'edit' or sequence would then show everything online AND also have a folder with all the clips included in that imported sequence.

Have editors done this successfully? Are the filenames the same as the clips in the sequence?

I am not sure about the relinking process.

M

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:33:43 am

In addition to my previous post:

In the helpful videos that show an editor taking an Avid MC sequence (a project) and migrating it to PP, nothing is mentioned about the real world situation here. Yes, it's great to take your cut to another NLE, but what happens if you want to change that cut with other shots, or material that exist in your Avid cut? Do you basically have to reimport or your dailies into PP?

None of the videos mention what an editor or an Assistant might be faced with. It might be a simple matter of pointing to dailies, but I'm wondering about all those sound files that only exist in the Avid.

Thoughts?

M

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:44:57 am

IF AAF doesn't work, then I might just have to export audio using Export in Media Composer. Long winded but at least it would work.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Migrating from Avid Media Composer to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 9, 2016 at 5:44:34 am

There really is no way to get the organization from Avid to PPro. And clip names either. Best you can do is import the Avid media into PPro. But if it's stereo media, Avid will have them as separate mono files..so they will come in as two mono files. And most likely the names will be partially there...I do have things like "Birds singing" and "whoosh"...but then others called "boomQ34588s8hhld.mxf"

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2016 at 7:55:30 pm

Thanks for the reply,

My team is investigating another way with AAFs since having clip names that consist of previous Avid file naming conventions aren't useful.

I must admit I am kinda surprised that not much is talked about this situation. Ideally an Editor starts on one platform and sticks with it, but no one talks about wholesale migration of a project to another NLE.

Thanks
M

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Migrating from Avid Media Composer to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 9, 2016 at 8:24:21 pm

Oh, this is talked about a lot. People wanting to switch from one platform to another for one reason or another. Editor quit, hired another and they only know X system and not Y system. Or someone prefers Y over Z. FCP 7 is now out of date and people want to move to something else.

FULL project migration is doable from some systems...say FCP 7 to Premere Pro, or the other way. XML does full projects. But anything from or to FCX requires third party conversion apps. And getting from Avid to anything, or anything to Avid...can't do anything but sequences. it's too different, and it doesn't do XML. It's too old, and stuck in it's ways.

But yes, people have wholesale converted, and it comes up here a lot. Resolve is used in some cases too. But Avid...too different to really get BINS or bin structures out.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]