ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Dynamic Link workflow: AE sequences from previous versions

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Dean
Dynamic Link workflow: AE sequences from previous versions
on Dec 6, 2016 at 6:19:48 pm

This workflow has evaded me for sometime. Adobe drops CC updates quite frequently which I'm grateful for. However, the frequency of recent updates has thrown a wrench into my process. In previous versions of CC, I've created projects that incorporated AE compositions via Dynamic Link.

After applying any update to AE CC, those AE DL compositions were created and must be edited in whatever previous version they were created in. If I try to edit the composition (Open in Editor), AE prompts me to save a new version of the AE project, in which I can make edits to that one comp. However, whatever changes I make take no effect in PP because the new AE project file doesn't automatically reconnect with the pre-existing AE composition inside PP. The only other workflow I've been able to find is to replace the composition directly, importing the comp via DL and replacing it inside my sequence. The only other option I can think of is retain a bunch of previous versions of AE CC, but that's both aggravating and ridiculous

For edits to a single Dynamic Link composition, this isn't really so much an issue as a minor annoyance. However, I do have PP projects with dozens of DL comps, edits to which become quite unbearable. Has anyone tangled with this issue and found a reasonable workflow or should I voice this issue to Adobe?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Dynamic Link workflow: AE sequences from previous versions
on Dec 7, 2016 at 12:03:46 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 7, 2016 at 11:19:59 pm

Yeah, Adobe didn't think through that part of Dynamic Link very well. It only works on the corresponding AE version. I can understand why -- new features and such -- but it's a right royal pain in the neck when you have old projects to re-visit. I feel your frustration.

I have to dredge up old projects all the time. Fortunately, I don't need to use Dynamic Link; it's not a must-have. Your experiences are a further warning against using it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Attila Kovarcsik
Re: Dynamic Link workflow: AE sequences from previous versions
on Mar 22, 2017 at 12:51:44 am

Yes. Same issue I bumped into and I am so mad...

http://www.onethyme.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]