ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Making use of 2 channels of audio in premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Richie
Making use of 2 channels of audio in premiere
on Dec 6, 2016 at 4:36:46 pm

Hello ladies and gents,
We typically record 2 channels of audio for interviews, typically a lav and shotgun (Rode NTG3). Sometimes only one channel of audio is usable, but typically both mics have great sounding audio that sound nice together.

I'm wondering what the best workflow is for getting both mics mixed how I want in left and right audio channels. By default Premiere brings in the audio as stereo with one mic left and one right. Should I set it to create 2 mono tracks instead?

I also wonder if I need to worry about phasing issues. I admittedly know nearly nothing about the topic, but am doing research now and wonder if that's a possible issue.

Thanks for any tips!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Making use of 2 channels of audio in premiere
on Dec 6, 2016 at 10:19:47 pm

If it were me, I would create and save a couple of presets in the Modify->Audio dialog. You can then quickly try a couple of presets to determine quickly which sounds best to you for the project, then apply across all clips.

Make one with a stereo channel. Make one with two mono channels. That way you have easy, quick options. I also made one for myself called "no audio, please!" that I apply to all clips where I don't want raw field sound. Helps me keep the timeline neat as I build, with just a few steps at the beginning of production.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Matthew Richie
Re: Making use of 2 channels of audio in premiere
on Dec 14, 2016 at 1:33:50 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jon! I didn't realize you could create presets in that dialogue. That'll be very helpful. I also just discovered the very obvious "default audio tracks" section under audio preferences, which allows you to choose how to import files by default.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]