ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron haasKeyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels
by on Dec 4, 2016 at 3:14:26 am

Hi,

I am wondering how I can set a keyboard shortcut to switch between panels. In older versions, the default was shift+1, sift+2, etc . I used to make switching to the timeline command+3 but now in the 2017 release of Premiere, I can't find this anywhere to assign a keyboard shortcut. I think it used to be called timeline panel or timeline window and I could customize it. Did they disable this altogether? Is it right under my nose and I can't see it for whatever reason?

I'm flustered and racing a deadline so I may not be phrasing this as clearly as I'd like, but I'm hoping you guys can figure out what I mean.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Premiere Pro CC 2017 release
v 11.0.0
MacPro (trashcan)

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels
by on Dec 5, 2016 at 4:42:06 pm

There is a whole new keyboard shortcuts interface. Just go through it and assign the short cuts you want for your panels. Default keyboard layout shows CTRL+Shift+, or CTRL+Shift_. will cycle the panels.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

ron haasRe: Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels
by on Dec 5, 2016 at 5:10:11 pm

Thanks for the reply Andy. I was aware of that tabbing through the panels shortcut, but what I am looking for is the hopefully still available command to switch to a particular panel without having to go through all the open ones. It certainly used to be there, I just can't find it in the handy new keyboard shortcut interface. Any thoughts on where I might find that?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels
by on Dec 5, 2016 at 5:27:59 pm

They are there in the new version. Are you searching for "window" vs. "panel"?

Also check your Window Menu and see if you see the actual Shift+Number combo next to the panel you expect your shortcut to go to.

Maybe your shortcuts are set to a custom set that did not translate when you upgraded. Can you try setting the keyboard short cuts to Default and try the Shift+1,2,3,4 combos to see if it matches your needs.

You can also try resetting your prefs when launching Premiere... "To restore default preference settings, hold down Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while the application is starting."

Return to posts index

Michael GriggsRe: Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 7:12:33 pm

Hi Ron,

I too experienced a similar frustration this morning after firing up the new 2017 release. I have long used the “shift+(digit)” shortcut for switching between panels, timelines, etc. Somehow, those shortcuts were removed from my preferences in the upgrade. I found all the commands (that Andy referenced) exactly where I expected in the keyboard shortcut editor, but my frustration arose when I was unable to actually change any of the shortcut commands.

After a bit more google searching I stumbled across this:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1570181

Long story short—all sequence panels (and audio track mixer, in my case) must be closed before the keyboard shortcuts for them can be changed or added. Quite the obscure requirement, but that did it for me.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

ron haasRe: Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels
by on Dec 9, 2016 at 4:37:48 pm

Hi Michael,

What will they think of next. Sure enough as soon as I closed all open timelines it was really easy to assign keyboard shortcuts exactly how I wanted to do it. Thanks for the help, Michael and Andy.

Ron

Return to posts index

Joshua PreiswerkRe: Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Panels
by on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:16:06 am

Micheal,

THANK YOU. I've lost a couple hours figuring why my "Toggle" windows shortcuts didn't work anymore in CC 2017. Just like you, they seem to have "disappeared" since I updated CC (oh... Adobe...) !

To set-them back to normal, like you say, you need to close all the panels/windows before you can re-assign the "Window" select (and typical SHIFT+1 for project, SHIFT+2 for Source, SHIFT+3 for Timeline, etc.)

Best regards,

Joshua

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]