ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Variable Frame Rate (VFR) Fix in CC2017?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jacek
Variable Frame Rate (VFR) Fix in CC2017?
on Dec 2, 2016 at 5:08:31 pm

My Premiere system is really humming along right now, so I have obvious trepidation about upgrading to the initial release of CC2017. I was wondering, however, if Adobe has finally addressed the sync issue with iPhone and other variable frame rate videos. I've not been able to find any info one way or the other. Does anyone have insight on this? The percentage of VFR video I receive from clients has been steadily increasing, so this is a rather important issue for Adobe to address. I'd rather not change platforms, but the added time needed for re-encoding (which doesn't even work all the time) is becoming a real productivity killer.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Variable Frame Rate (VFR) Fix in CC2017?
on Dec 3, 2016 at 12:18:22 am

[Chris Jacek] "The percentage of VFR video I receive from clients has been steadily increasing, so this is a rather important issue for Adobe to address."

To my knowledge it hasn't.

In the meantime, I'm sure you encourage clients to avoid shooting vertical video. I'd also encourage them to get the apps for their phones that shoot video at a constant frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 6, 2016 at 2:54:33 pm

Unfortunately, that's not a realistic option. These are non-professionals who often don't even use a tripod or external microphone. I'm a remote sub-contractor, so I have no contact with those who are shooting.

I'm sure I am not alone in these kinds of scenarios. We are in a time when it's simply not plausible to demand best practices, as we are often hired to work with what can best be compared to "found footage." We are allowed our professional standards only when we control the process.

The fact of the matter is that there are millions upon millions of iPhones and other cameras that shoot variable frame rate video, the majority of which are in the hands of people who have no idea what a variable frame rate is. Adobe is a company that often boasts about its great flexibility. To me, this cannot be viewed as anything but a failure to back up that claim.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 6, 2016 at 3:39:23 pm

are you saying that handbrake fails re-encoding? even professional users have to transcode for proxies, digital intermediates, redcine-x etc. The world out there isn't kind to slow computers.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 6, 2016 at 6:03:07 pm

No, it has nothing to do with slowness of computers. If anything, my setup could be described as overkill for blog videos (2015 workstation with gobs or ram, all SSD, fast Nvidia, yada yada).

Handbrake works some of the time, but nowhere near every time. When there is too much "corrected" camera shake in these VFR files, there are no viable fixes that I've found. So I just chop it up and slip a few frames here and there. Either way (transcoding or editing the sync slippage), it is an unnecessary and time-consuming step when there are other products on the market that have handled this issue better for years.

We can all say that best practices of professionals like ourselves would eliminate any such problems, and I certainly agree when it comes to work that I'm doing. The reality, however, is that collaboration across disciplines becomes greater every day, and many of us "professionals" will have clients, or even supervisors who don't have a clue about best practices, but are still signing expecting a result.

I think that hiding behind the argument of Premiere being a professional product, so it doesn't need to address basic functionality of its competitors, is short-sighted at best, and a B.S. excuse at worst. It would be like saying that Adobe Premiere only accepts video with SEMPTE timecode. Yes, once upon a time, that was a obiquitous professional standard, and might have been an acceptable limitation, but times change.

Like them or not, iPhone cameras are viable cameras. When you have millions of viable cameras on the market, to me it is irresponsible not to address an issue that causes workflow disruption to those of us who must work with the resulting footage.

And please do no post another link to Adobe's feature request page. I've made this request numerous times, as have many others, only for our requests to fall upon deaf ears. It's nice for Adobe to collect feedback, but is a bit disingenuous to hide behind that feature request page as a way of dodging responsibility for R&D expectations. Issues like this should fall under the umbrella of competitive analysis. Or is Adobe satisfied with ceding all of those potential users to FCP X and other inferior (except with this particular issue) products?

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Dec 7, 2016 at 12:11:55 am

This is the second post (that I've seen this week) blaming Adobe for not fixing Apple's shortcoming.

The problem is not Premiere. The problem is Apple not making a fixed frame rate camera part of the iPhone.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 12, 2016 at 5:39:21 pm

[Alan Lloyd] "The problem is not Premiere. The problem is Apple not making a fixed frame rate camera part of the iPhone."

I cannot agree with this. The premise is flawed, because the editing platform must follow the capture technology, especially if the capture product becomes widely accepted. If you'd used that logic in the past, no NLEs should have ever accepted H.264 footage. Or, as I mentioned earlier, using that same logic, Adobe would be justified in refusing any footage that lacks dedicated time code. Adobe continually touts how flexible their creative tools are. In this case, they are being extremely inflexible.

What if Apple, or anyone else, creates a revolutionary VFR codec that is 10X the quality and 10x more efficient? Would it still be okay to ignore the sync issue, when everyone is buying these amazing new cameras?

As one technology evolves, it is the responsibility of those who serve users of that technology to adapt (or die). Those of us who've been in the game long enough surely remember the post-houses who refused to finish on NLEs in the mid 90s, because online tape-to-tape suites were "the professional" way to do it. Those post houses are now paintball facilities and parking lots.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Dec 4, 2016 at 12:49:00 pm

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Dec 6, 2016 at 5:38:35 pm

Hi Chris,

There are no new changes in PPro 2017 to address VFR issues. However, if your recording video on an iOS device, Filmic Pro announced an update that could be helpful for this workflow. NOTE: I have not tested this yet.

From the "FiLMiC Pro" Version 5.5 for "iPhone" Release Notes (Nov 11, 2016):

"... v5.5 includes fixes and optimizations to our iOS 10 codebase including the following: —Adobe Premiere and Windows compatibility has been assured. NOTE: This undertaking has required a change of the default audio encoding format from AIFF to PCM. AIFF is still supported in the app but should not be used if the intention is to export to Adobe Premiere or playback on Windows PCs. (Double-check and/or reconfigure your presets to use PCM audio if you plan to use FiLMiC Pro footage in Adobe Premiere and/or on a Windows PC) —Focus reticle refinements ensure accurate, smooth, and crisp focus actuation."

We're still looking into making changes on the Premiere side as well, but this at least helps users with this workflow.

Thanks,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 6, 2016 at 6:07:03 pm

That sounds like a nice update. But it unfortunately doesn't help much in situations where we have no control over the acquisition process. Still, if I were shooting on an iPhone, I would certainly appreciate this effort.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2016 at 1:25:42 am

Just convert the footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 12, 2016 at 5:25:28 pm

I think I addressed how this is not a reasonable expectation in my Dec 6 post. I hate to use the old "time is money" cliche, but it is certainly appropriate here. I'm sure there are others like me whose ability to maintain a good hourly rate is dependent upon volume. If I need to wait 5 minutes to encode a video that takes me less than 5 minutes to edit (a common situation for me), my productivity has been reduced by more than half.

It would be one thing if this were a common limitation across all nonlinear platforms. It is another thing altogether when competitors have had a solution for years, and you simply refuse to address it. And perhaps the following statement is best for the "debate" forum, but one must wonder whether Adobe would have been so dismissive if they didn't have users trapped with the subscription model.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 12, 2016 at 5:49:32 pm

[Chris Jacek] "....one must wonder whether Adobe would have been so dismissive if they didn't have users trapped with the subscription model."

....which has been a contention of mine ever since the rental model was announced.

[Chris Jacek] " I hate to use the old "time is money" cliche, but it is certainly appropriate here."

Well, how much does iMovie cost?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 12, 2016 at 8:08:45 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Well, how much does iMovie cost?"

Just your soul. Okay maybe that's an exaggeration. But it definitely would cost ones dignity.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Dec 12, 2016 at 9:47:16 pm

Open file into quicktime, goto save as, save as refrence video. Done

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 13, 2016 at 1:39:57 am

It seems iMovie would be the right tool for the job.

I hate cameras that shoot at variable frame rates. That term once meant 23.976, 59.94, 25, 24 29.97 or 60fps. Now it means "30, sort of".

But I don't buy your "it's popular so we need to adapt" argument. Using the same logic, National Geographic photographers would have been shooting on Kodak Instamatics in the '70's.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:39:20 pm

It's not just because it is popular. It is also because the iPhone cameras are of a high enough quality to be viable. If Kodak Instamatic cameras were capable of taking photos of a comparable quality to their Nikon rigs (mind you, I say "comparable", not equal), then National Geographic would definitely have used them in certain situations. Again, let me stress "in certain situations". The cameras on iPhones serve a similar purpose. If you're outdoors on a sunny day, you can get footage that is better than passable. It will never compete with a Red Camera, but it is certainly good enough to be used in most situations. Someone hiking the Appalachian Trail might find an iPhone camera to be very useful, just as they would have appreciated the theoretical 35mm Kodak Instamatic that could shoot photos comparable to SLR.

Most importantly, what is acceptable to use is often NOT OUR CHOICE. If snobby production people like us got to choose what people use, people would be compelled to use a light kit and external microphone on everything. If there's 100 million iPhones out there (I'm guessing there are even more), and just one percent of them are shooting video that needs to be edited, then that's a million cameras worth of footage that Adobe doesn't mind alienating. Not very flexible at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]