ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Switch from Premiere Pro to Resolve with Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Taylor
Switch from Premiere Pro to Resolve with Ultrastudio Mini Monitor
on Dec 1, 2016 at 5:20:49 pm

Hi all. I'm hoping to get some help on this one, as I'm pretty sure this issue has been dealt with before.

The issue is simple - is there a way for me to switch back and forth between Resolve and Premiere Pro on my Mac trashcan, while maintaining video output through my Ultrastudio Mini Monitor to my FSI monitor?

Currently I am having to quit out of Premiere every time I need to use Resolve, and vice versa, if I want to get a video signal to my grading monitor.

While Premiere Pro has an option to drop the video output when it is in the background, thus freeing up the signal for Resolve to use, Resolve has no such feature. What this means is that Resolve grabs the video signal and won't let go, so when I go into Premiere I have no video signal to my reference monitor.

Is there a workflow I'm not aware of that would allow for this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Pat Taylor

http://colourskyfilms.com
ptaylor@colourskyfilms.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Switch from Premiere Pro to Resolve with Ultrastudio Mini Monitor
on Dec 1, 2016 at 5:29:45 pm

You can disable Resolve's video output to the card through the Preferences/Video IO option, but it will only take effect on relaunching Resolve.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2016 at 5:41:07 pm

Sorry, but both apps want to control the video IO when the launch, and don't want to let go just because you start paying more attention to another app. Most video apps that use IO exhibit this behavior.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Patrick Taylor
on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:08:34 pm

Thanks for the response.

Yep, this is quite true, for the most part.

Premiere, actually, has an option to drop the video output when it is in the background, thus making a switch from Premiere to Resolve possible. The problems comes when going the other direction. Resolve, unlike Premiere, grabs the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor and won't let go. So, once your in Resolve, that's it. Getting video from the Mini Monitor in Premiere requires a shut down of Resolve.

Was hoping someone might have discovered some kind of a work around for this, but it's looking like something I'll have to keep living with.

-Pat Taylor

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Dec 2, 2016 at 12:52:57 am

I know it works when switching back and forth between Premiere and After Effects...and Speedgrade as well (I think)

but ya as others said unfortunately, resolve hogs the frame buffer.

Return to posts index

Patrick Taylor
on Dec 3, 2016 at 3:10:04 am

Well whadya know, there IS a solution. Someone on another forum pointed out that Resolve does indeed have the same functionality as Premiere when it comes to shutting down the video stream when the software is in the background. It can be found in General Options, near the top and is called "Release Video I/O Hardware When Not In Focus". This allows for the Mini Monitor I/O unit to pick up the video feed for whatever software is in the foreground.

-Pat Taylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]