ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Corrupt renders nMP with D500s

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Corrupt renders nMP with D500s
on Nov 25, 2016 at 8:47:28 pm

I am working on a client's recently purchased "trash can" Mac Pro. 8-core with dual D-500 chips. Sierra macOS. Adobe CC2017.

I have a 1080/23.976p sequence made of a mix of 720, 1080 and 4K ProRes (various flavors) sources. Some multicamera clips (all 4K sources). When I export through Premiere Pro or AME using either OpenCL or Metal, I get random render glitches throughout the video. It usually starts about halfway through. This is when trying to export a 720p H264 approval copy with TC overlay.

I was able to get a clean export using software-only processing. I was also able to get a clean 1080 ProRes export. On the latter, I might have been lucky, because I've seen segment renders in the timeline with the same glitches after I rendered them and the preview files were also ProRes.

Ironically, I have another sequence made up of the same types of clips that was a segment lifted out of the other sequence. It exports cleanly. Also, renders out of Resolve, FCPX and Compressor have all been fine. Thoughts?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Corrupt renders nMP with D500s
on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:04:55 am

Oliver,

It's a know issue with the MP GPU's... not only with the D700's, but also the D500's. Get Apple to replace graphics card A & B on your clients MP under their recall program.

FCPX will not show the same render glitches or lines. Watch the Activity monitor CPU menus peak out when Premiere or AME are exporting, then run the same test with FCPX. FCPX does not tax the CPU's / GPU's as bad and over heat the MP introducing the glitches. I've even had AME exporting, loaded up Compressor and exported at the same time. You'd think taxing the MP with both programs exporting it would fail on both. Compressor or FCPX don't show the lines and glitches, but AME will. It's not always consistent when you reboot to cool things down, but a lot of the times during my testing, Premiere & AME will fail on 4K exports where FCPX or Compressor will not.

Software only as you stated seems to be the only saving grace to get something exported out of Premiere or AME with a MP with these issues.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 28, 2016 at 1:26:48 pm

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 28, 2016 at 1:58:24 pm

Have you tried older versions?

Ive had a slew of C500s and C300/100 clips in all NLEs the last year and no issues in CC2013.

I finally upgraded but data has been removed from my studio.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 28, 2016 at 2:01:28 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Have you tried older versions?"

No, this is a new machine. That's all that's installed.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:56:16 pm

[Oliver Peters] "No, this is a new machine. That's all that's installed.
"

Sucks yea I have a nMPs that Im not allowed to downgrade at day job.

I still use a 5, 1 just in case.

At home Im running both CC2015/2017.

Return to posts index

Olivier Aubut
on Nov 29, 2016 at 5:59:14 pm

Hey

The apple store wouldn't take my nMP d700 because they couldn't replicate the errors with their tests.

I found this workaround that has been working for a couple of months now.

The glitches happen when the cards overheat. So I installed iStat menus (other similar softwares are available) and crank the fan speed to max.

Found this workaround on DaVinci Resolve forums.

Olivier

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Nov 28, 2016 at 7:44:19 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Ive had a slew of C500s and C300/100 clips in all NLEs the last year and no issues in CC2013."

Are you talking about Canon C500 / C300/100 media vs. the Mac Pro D500 GPU's?

Andy

Return to posts index

Will Duncan
on Dec 15, 2016 at 7:14:20 pm

We have this issue with D500 and D700 GPU's on the nMP.

Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve both cause the GPU to overheat. One of our 5 machines doesn't have the problem, at least not often enough to notice. The downside is that on large exports, even with the fan speed pegged, we'll have to go through massive projects frame by frame looking for the glitches. Sometimes they only appear once or twice.

During TV productions this season, we spent a lot of time reexporting. We saw a ton of glitches. They're drastically less common with 1080 footage and exports, but when we switch gears to 4k or above, I know we're going to have some long nights ahead of us on those projects.

iStat Menu and bumping up the fan speed solves the problem for smaller projects in Premiere which is an $18 fix. There are free fan speed controllers but you get a lot of nice tools with iStats, so I recommend it.

Resolve we had less luck with. Bumping the fan speed up solved 98% of the problems, but on a feature length 4k production there were still a lot of problems. We exported the color project as an image sequence (it's massive in file size) and then brought it back in an converted it to ProRes 444. This solution added roughly 5-7 hours of computing time.

We haven't exported the final product yet. But the image sequence and conversion to ProRes has been a solid workaround. I just don't want my editors and production teams to think that's some kind of fix. Adding a half day of computing time to your workflow is a nightmare.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]