ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Scaling Proxy Clips

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Thomas
Scaling Proxy Clips
on Nov 22, 2016 at 10:19:39 pm

I might be overthinking this, but before I spend hours doing something incorrect, I thought I would ask.

I have a mixture of 1024p and 4k source clips. I want a final export format to be 1920x1080. I created proxies for everything that are constrained 1024x576 so I can edit smoothly.

I've edited the clips into a 1920x1080 sequence that I am happy with.

What I'm wary about is scaling the footage so that there are no black bars. Obviously, the 1024 needs to scale up slightly, and the 4k needs to scale down a whole lot.

When I select "scale to frame size OR set to frame size, I still get black bars. (presumably because right now, ALL proxies are the same resolution.)

I can scale all the clips manually, (motion>scale) so that they fit, but intuition is screaming at me that if I do that, when I re-link the 4k files, they will be WAY wrong.

Does that make sense? How do I scale a project using small proxies to fit a final desired sequence size, when the linked source clips are both larger and smaller than the final output?

Return to posts index

Nate Priest
Re: Scaling Proxy Clips
on Nov 23, 2016 at 2:42:43 pm

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. You've got the right idea in utilizing the "scale to frame size" option as that would have automatically adjusted all your footage to fill the 1920x1080 sequence without actually adjusting the scale parameter. The problem is that function only works at the import level, meaning that turning this option on doesn't affect any of the media you've already imported. I'm afraid you're stuck with manually scaling everything and then fixing it once you relink, as far as I know.

Return to posts index

Oliver Thomas
on Nov 23, 2016 at 4:36:33 pm

Well thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that. It's not a huge deal as there's only probably 150 clips for half an hour of total footage, might as well learn that lesson now before I edit something bigger.

I did notice that the scale to frame size option only made the clip resolution as large as the smallest size of the final desired resolution, resulting in black bars on the right and left of the video. Is there a way to force it to conform to the maximum resolution size of your sequence, even if that means cropping slightly?

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Nov 23, 2016 at 7:43:08 pm

Selecting clips and choosing, right click and choosing set to frame size should ?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]