ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

What media for 4K

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasco daNeva
What media for 4K
on Nov 22, 2016 at 12:32:07 pm

Once you've finished a 1 hour 4K film in Premiere Pro CC 2017, what media do you put it on so it can be viewed on a 4K TV set with max quality?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: What media for 4K
on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:06:37 pm

I've always thought you could put it on a thumbnail drive and plug it into a 4K tv. Am I wrong?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:20:25 pm

How is it viewed on the TV? Is it on a video service that's on the internet? Then use whatever specifications the service is expecting. Do you want to slap an external drive/stick into the TV's USB port? Then use whatever files are supported by the TV in question.

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on Nov 22, 2016 at 1:56:51 pm

Thank you for your answer.
"Do you want to slap an external drive/stick into the TV's USB port?"
Yes. The question is what format gives the best quality? DVD was good for Standard Definition. BluRay was for HD. What is best to encode 4K with in Media Encoder and then maybe Encore for something to put on an external drive/stick? Not YouTube quality, mind you. Again, like BluRay disc was best for HD, what is best for 4K (except those new 100Gb BD discs of course).

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 22, 2016 at 2:46:35 pm

What video formats do the TV in question support? Not all TVs play all formats.

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on Nov 22, 2016 at 3:11:06 pm

Let's address the most universal or common formats then.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:21:06 pm

H264

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 22, 2016 at 8:21:59 pm

the usb disk has to be fast enough for your selected bitrate. it's a catch 22 so be careful.

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:41:35 am

Hi
I always use H264 in 50mbs
Bo

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on Nov 28, 2016 at 2:33:54 pm

But H264 could be a lot of things. What plays best at highest quality?

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Nov 28, 2016 at 2:56:44 pm

The media player in most TVs plays .mkv, .avi, .mp4. So, h264 MP4 should be good.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:32:21 pm

[Vasco daNeva] "But H264 could be a lot of things. What plays best at highest quality?
"

Can you be more specific as to the target player/display.

I use a few options such as the REDRAY player and the basic desktop playback using VLC.

h264 at highest as 20MB is Ive done with full feature for test (desktop).

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 28, 2016 at 6:55:39 pm

[Vasco daNeva] "But H264 could be a lot of things. "

It's a fairly simple thing but depending on the device playing it back it probably needs to be a certain level/profile/bitrate. Which we don't know because you don't know the device this should be played back on.

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on Nov 29, 2016 at 9:29:49 am

The device videos will be played on is Zappiti Player 4K (please see http://www.zappiti.com/zappiti_player_4k.html )

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 29, 2016 at 9:46:52 am

"Playback HD and SD video in MKV containers and other modern video file formats, including top quality
HD video with very high bit-rates > 120 Mbp/s."

I didn't find an actual manual but that's from the quick start guide. I don't know if they tell what the "other modern formats" are somewhere else.

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on Nov 29, 2016 at 11:13:04 am

Thank you very much, Tero. Do you know if Adobe Encore can do MKV, or any 4K for that matter? Adobe stopped upgrading it quite some time ago. Or can you recommend an alternative?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 29, 2016 at 2:33:34 pm

From the link you supplied:

● Video codecs: HEVC, H.265, MVC, AVC, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, XVID, DIVX, WMV9, FLV, VC-1, H.264/x.264, CVD 1.0/2.0, SVCD, AVS, Sorenson Spark L70, VP8 ; Very High Speed video bitrates supported up to 120Mbit/s.
● Video file formats: BD ISO, BDMV, MKV, MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, M2TS, VOB, AVI, MOV, MP4, QT, WMV, DVD-ISO, VIDEO_TS, AVCHD 2.0 (AVCHD 3D, AVHD Progressive, and AVCHD 3D / Progressive).

Adobe Encore is for creating DISCS, either DVD or BLU-RAY. And in any case, Encore maxes out at HD and does not do anything with 4K video. You will want/need to use Adobe Media Encoder to create your files for playback.

H.264 should do the job, create some short samples and try them

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on Dec 1, 2016 at 12:20:25 pm

Thank you very much!
Vasco

Return to posts index

Vasco daNeva
on Dec 14, 2016 at 9:44:29 am

But how do you make chapters in Media Encoder? When a film is 2 hours long you want to have chapters in case you want to skip to certain points of the film.

Return to posts index

Michael Ryan
on Apr 12, 2017 at 1:09:31 am

Personally, I'm a fan of h.265/HEVC, as in case of a quality loss, the blurring effect is more pleasant than the blockiness that h.264/AVC gives you... I would do .mkv container with h.265 (at above 5mbps, above 10 preferred for higher quality), and AAC 6+ channel audio (at least 32kbps per channel). That is just me, and only if your media/devices support it. Most devices in the past 18months or so will support HEVC for 4K material. The codec was designed to yeild better results for a give bandwidth over avc/h.264. Main concerns are getting enough room on a Bluray disc as well as online streaming at a reasonable/practical rate.

Compared to h.264, you should be able to use half the bitrate for similar results, or equivalent bitrate for better results. On the higher end the trade off becomes less of an issue. As I said though, I prefer the blending to artifacting. If you go too low on the bitrate, one of the first things you will notice is that body hair tends to blend in, instead of being able to pick it out. At least that's the thing that I tend to notice first in test cases. If you use a constant quality of <= 23, you should be okay. (larger number means more loss, smaller size, and it's a progressive scale). I actually will go lower than that for a lot of my rips, as I don't mind the lower quality, again relative to h.264, and it reduces the space on my nas... I use about 1200-2500kbps for 1080p content, it will vary based on CQP (constant quality) needs. I also use NVENC, which isn't as good for size/quality trade off as say x265 is.

Just mt $.02, I tend to be more concerned with size... and as mentioned doing test encodes of more complex scenes will tell you what will work and what won't, it's very subjective.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]