ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Need Clarification on AVCHD render quality

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
Need Clarification on AVCHD render quality
on Nov 18, 2016 at 1:04:58 pm

I just upgraded my iMac to 16GB of ram and am now able to edit AVCHD natively in premiere pro CC. My iMac is an i7 quad core with 1TB fusion drive.

If I add any effects to my timeline that has AVCHD footage will the quality decrease every time I render the timeline or only on export? I keep reading that every time I render an effect it will reduce the quality unless transcoded to prores. The issue I have with pro res is the file size is larger and I don't get any quality increase because my camera only allows a maximum of 8bit color depth and the mb per second is lower than prores. I'd rather edit natively.

Thanks

Bryce

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Need Clarification on AVCHD render quality
on Nov 18, 2016 at 1:07:46 pm

When you render previews you are always replacing the old render with a new one. Generation loss will not come into play because you're not re-rendering the rendered preview..

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 18, 2016 at 1:23:58 pm

But let's say I render a clip then add a new effect and render again. Won't that be a generation loss or am I confused.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 18, 2016 at 2:08:28 pm

[Bryce Douglass] "But let's say I render a clip then add a new effect and render again. Won't that be a generation loss or am I confused."

If you actually export a clip out of the program as a new clip and bring it back in and then put more stuff on it then it will start suffering from generation loss.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 18, 2016 at 2:14:04 pm

I'm not talking about exporting. I'm talking about rendering. The yellow bar or red bar rendering into a green bar.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 18, 2016 at 2:36:17 pm

Hi Bryce,

I responded to your post on another forum, but did not directly address the root of your question apparently.

If you render a red portion of timeline to green, then make any edits that cause that segment to go red again, you are back to square one - each time you render red to green is like the first time, it always renders directly from the source clip to preview file format. It does not use the previous preview render file, that gets completely replaced.

Please see this Adobe post for additional info on colors - https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars/

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 18, 2016 at 2:38:28 pm

I thought that was the case. I was confused why I got different reply above from someone else's.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 18, 2016 at 3:25:07 pm

Bryce,

I should add that Tero's replies are totally correct, but maybe were not interpreted properly when you read them.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 18, 2016 at 4:31:33 pm

But when I render a yellow bar to green I don't see any quality difference. The rendered previews are in prores HQ. do I need to transcode to pro res or can I just use native avchd and call it good?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 18, 2016 at 10:46:02 pm

you don't need to transcode.

I do commercial production and been exclusively on premiere since CS 5.5

I have not transcoded a single piece of footage since switching to premiere and one of our sony cameras
records AVCHD.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 18, 2016 at 11:29:21 pm

What about color correcting? Can I color correct in avchd? I read that the colors can get washed out unless you render and replace with something else.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 19, 2016 at 12:27:26 am

transcoding to another codec just to grade is usually not a perfect solution as you get generation loss. the better alternative is a proxy. you can preview grades directly on proxies if their bitrate is high enough.

As for rendering previews, you only have 8 bit video so changing your sequence to a custom 10 bit preview codec won't help any either. if you do have 10 bit AVHD, then you would need cineform 10bit preview with a 10 bit monitor.

if you do any major grading or compositing, you will need to enable maximum bit depth in the render setting. If you do any resizing, max quality.

if you don't enable max bit depth, your premiere color engine will clamp all container compositing values in the 8 bit range, and you could get banding.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 19, 2016 at 7:04:02 am

What if I have an 8 bit avchd and I make a proxy? Should I just keep it in avchd since it's already 8bit? My concern was something I read being washed out colors if I tried color correcting and grading with avchd 8bit footage. But maybe that's wrong.

I don't see maximum bit depth in render settings but I see that on export.

Bryce

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Nov 19, 2016 at 7:40:18 am

Effects (including colour correction) in PPro are calculated in 32-bit float. This isn't going to improve the quality of 8-bit material but it does mean that inserting an upconversion stage (prores transcode or proxies) for quality reasons makes no sense.

Prores is useful for archive and reducing stress on systems (it's less CPU intensive). The idea that it will increase bit depth giving you more latitude for colour correction is a myth that will apparently never die.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Nov 19, 2016 at 9:16:22 am

Rendering as in making preview files to play timeline in real time is Non-destructive.
Exporting that timeline is a whole different matter.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 19, 2016 at 10:02:52 am

But since I have an i7 quad core processor with 1GB of vram and GPU cuda with 16GB of ram I don't see how I'm putting stress on my CPU. Everything plays back fine.

Bryce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]