ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Looking for efficient workflow with Premiere and Photoshop for hand drawn overlays

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cera
Looking for efficient workflow with Premiere and Photoshop for hand drawn overlays
on Nov 14, 2016 at 11:01:25 pm

Hello,

I just recently made the move from Sony Vegas to Premiere Pro, because I was hoping for a great Photoshop and Premiere integration, but I can't figure out how to be more efficient.

So in my videos I heavily rely on overlays to highlight certain parts - circles, add notes, point an arrow at something, etc. which I draw by hand with a graphics tablet.

What I did in Vegas was: copy current preview screen, paste in photoshop, add new layer and draw something over it. Save the layer to a .png file, have that folder open and drag the file onto the timeline. That was fairly quick.

Example result:

(at 4:05)

But I struggle with Premiere. Quickly opening a file in Photoshop from Premiere works, but I'm working on an empty file and I don't see the current version of the preview. So I first have to create a screenshot from that or something. And also working with psd files as combined layers works great, but having 100 psd files for one video is slow - unfortunately I can't simply use one psd file and access the single layers as a resource (at least not if I constantly want to add new layers).

Any advice on how I could do this efficiently or point me to a good tutorial is highly appreciated!

Thank you,
Michael

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: Looking for efficient workflow with Premiere and Photoshop for hand drawn overlays
on Nov 14, 2016 at 11:38:03 pm

The little camera icon exports your current frame as an image (file format of your choice - I like PNG) and gives you the option of importing it into your current project. From there, edit it Photoshop as you will.

Return to posts index

Michael Cera
Re: Looking for efficient workflow with Premiere and Photoshop for hand drawn overlays
on Nov 15, 2016 at 10:31:30 pm

Then I have to save it as a file. Which is slow. In vegas I can copy the frame into the clipboard and simply paste it in photoshop.

But I just found out I can convert a sequence to an after effects clip, and then use after effects to draw on it. I'm going to see how that works out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]