ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Renaming multiple files together inside Premiere Bin

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ayan Banerjee
Renaming multiple files together inside Premiere Bin
on Nov 9, 2016 at 1:48:19 pm

Okay I am done with my editing. Now I want to back it up via Premiere's 'Project Manager'. Under 'Project Manager' window, I see an option 'rename media files to match clip names'. As far as i understand if I rename a clip inside Premiere, the backed up physical files would have that new name..fantastic.

But how can I rename multiple clips. Say like in windows explorer if I select multiple files and rename one file to xxxx, the others are automatically renamed as xxxx(1),xxxx(2) and so on. But inside premiere whenever I select multiple files, the rename option is gone.

Some people are suggesting using Bridge's batch rename tool, but what that does is rename the actual physical file on the hard drive and not the clip name inside Premiere. And then Premiere gets confused and asks me to link these renamed files manually!

Is it possible now? Or should I have renamed the files inside windows explorer, before I imported those into Premiere?

Also project manager destroys my windows directory structure and dumps all files into one big folder. I know I would see the bin structure inside premiere, but is there a way to maintain the physical folder structure as well?

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: Renaming multiple files together inside Premiere Bin
on Nov 9, 2016 at 4:38:35 pm

I suspect setting up file names would best be done at the earliest point in the project.

As for everything being in one folder after Project Manager saves it, if it preserves your project structure internally, what's the problem? If you're backing something up because you might need to get back to it, it will load.

Preserving outs & trims is another matter. I'd put any additional assets you may need back into the same (Windows) directory in a well-named folder, just for that reason. If you're going back to something odds are it will be to make a change downstream as much as to re-output the original.

Return to posts index

Ayan Banerjee
Re: Renaming multiple files together inside Premiere Bin
on Nov 9, 2016 at 5:54:32 pm

There are mainly 2 reasons why I want to maintain the physical folder structure:

1) I often use footage of old projects in future projects. As for example in my current documentary I have a folder structure (In premiere and in physical location itself) containing folders named 'Timelapse', 'Birds', Sunset etc. So while working on any future projects if I need shots of Birds, I would just open this archived project and copy the folder 'Birds'. But if i archive through Premiere's 'Project Manager' utility, I have to manually find all those bird shots among thousands of other footage.

2) I have seen that if I use after effects, Project Manager fails to backup those dynamically linked After Effects comps.

So is there a manual way of backing up/archiving, where I can maintain the physical folder structure and include AE comps as well?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]