ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Exporting a file with an Alpha Channel

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Harper
Exporting a file with an Alpha Channel
on Nov 7, 2016 at 8:07:46 pm

Hi all,

I've got some titles that I've created in Premiere Pro and wish to bring into a timeline AVID. The text will be over some footage so I need the "black" from the Premiere Pro clip to be transparent. I just want to double check on what I need to do rather than continuously doing the wrong thing and having to jump back and forth.

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 9.2.0

For the export settings in Premiere, I've got it set to a Quicktime Format, un-ticked the "Export Audio". The video codec is set to "Animation" with a 32 Bit Depth. Everything else such as the Resolution, Frame Rate etc.. matches with each other.

When I then import it into AVID, I'll make sure that the Alpha Channel is inverted.

If I'm correct this should mean that when I place the imported clip onto the timeline in AVID, only the text will show along with the video. Rather than blacking out the video and only the text being on there?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting a file with an Alpha Channel
on Nov 7, 2016 at 9:46:11 pm

I would export audio separate from video. At least on my Avid, you have to make a choice -- either the alpha channel or the audio. It won't let you import alpha-channeled video with audio.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 7, 2016 at 9:54:49 pm

Using Premiere CC 2015.4 version, I just created a New Title, white letters. Put on timeline, placed playhead on it, then used CAMERA icon (Export Frame) below Program Monitor to export a still frame. I chose PNG as the format. Imported and tried that still image and it has alpha. That ought to do it!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Nov 7, 2016 at 10:11:24 pm

@Jeff Pulera

With this method, do I need to do that for each individual title? As we have a fair few that occur throughout the video and it seems as though that might take quite a while to do? It would be much easier to have them all ready in one file just to place into AVID.

Adam

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Nov 7, 2016 at 10:07:26 pm

@Dave LaRonde

There is no audio in the Premiere Pro timeline, I've only just used it for titles. I only had the video from the sequence in AVID as a reference point.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 8, 2016 at 2:36:59 pm

Hi Adam,

I'd misread the original post, didn't realize you wanted the title sequence as a finished video clip. In that case, you can choose QuickTime as FORMAT and GoPro Cineform with Alpha for export codec. Just below those options, there is an Audio checkbox you can uncheck to export Video Only.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]