ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Thoughts on Managing Audio in Adobe Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JD Marlow
Thoughts on Managing Audio in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Nov 5, 2016 at 6:53:32 am

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if Adobe Premiere Pro experts out there have any thoughts on managing audio. My preference has always been to split anything that has more than one track out to mono so that I can effectively manipulate each track independently on the timeline. Working with stereo tracks in Premiere really sucks if you need to mute just the left or right side of that track, or alter it in any way.

But I've run into something fishy lately. A little Premiere "gotcha". I unlinked a bunch of my footage to move it into a different folder, then relinked it. All the audio went from "stereo split to 2 mono", to being just straight "stereo" again. Turns out you have to designate in AUDIO preferences how to treat this (i.e. FROM FILE, or any other option you come up with). Why is it that if you relink a clip in a project a setting like this would change? As if you're reimporting the clip from scratch? And without even notifying you that it's being changed?

Any thoughts on a really optimized audio workflow for a big project are welcome.

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Thoughts on Managing Audio in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Nov 5, 2016 at 12:21:37 pm

Here is a guess....

because it is possible to have multiple files from multiple locations with the same name residing within a project...

"from file" likely identifies the file not only by name, but the full path...

you changed the path....so Premiere thinks "new file..."

I don't know if this will help....but you can try:

in your preferences try enabling media> "write xmp id to files on import"

when you did this Premiere will tag the file headers with an XMP id. invisible to you...

but it let's premiere know you've imported the file before.

you'll probably have to try it as a workflow on a clean project...and test to see if it resloves the issue...

that's my thoughts anyway...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Thoughts on Managing Audio in Adobe Premiere Pro
on Nov 5, 2016 at 1:42:15 pm

I think Alex might be right about the XMP data, so I would definitely give that a shot.

As a side rant, I wish multiple mono tracks associated with video would keyframe at once (maybe with a modifier key) instead of needing to be done individually. I know you can paste attributes, but its a lot of steps. Oddly, this was Avid's old way of behaving and now it works in the same maddening way as Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]