ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Building Own PC for Premiere or Having a System Builder Do It?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cara Myers
Building Own PC for Premiere or Having a System Builder Do It?
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:13:38 pm

Hey All! ? Curious for your thoughts...considering the lack up updates on the Mac Pro (not since 2013) and all of the GPU defects many have experienced, I'm seriously considering ditching Apple for my editing machine and going the custom PC / Windows 10 route. (I am wondering if any of you have thought about this or have made this switch?)

Also, I am considering building my own PC OR having a system builder company (Puget Systems) build it and support me through the duration of using it. I have never built a computer before and have little to no experience on Windows and will be depending on this machine as my money making, client project machine.

While the idea of being self sufficient and learning new things is really appealing, I don't want to do anything stupid either! Can any of you who have built your own or had a system builder offer your experience? Any experiences with Puget Systems you can share or other system builders? What solutions are you all finding? ?

Cara Myers
Digital Film Editor
vesperafilms.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Building Own PC for Premiere or Having a System Builder Do It?
on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:20:37 pm

Let Puget build it!!! Period, end of story. You're an editor, spend your time being creative, building a PC is not a creative endeavor, and you'll be dealing with hardware and software for the next four or five years instead of being creative if you head down the DIY path.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2016 at 6:00:22 pm

Listen to David!

The money you may save by going DIY is insignificant compared to the amount of money you'd LOSE in trying to piece together a functioning system all by yourself.

Stick to what you know -- and integrating systems isn't it. Besides, it's dead boring unless you're hardware nerd.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lee Overstreet
on Nov 4, 2016 at 6:18:29 pm

As a hardware nerd who DOES build his own PCs, I agree with Dave and David! For me, building a PC is an enjoyable endeavor, but subtle issues can crop up and waste ENORMOUS amounts of time. When I built my current PC, a bad RAM slot on the motherboard required a return to Newegg.com, and when I returned the board, I accidentally left the aftermarket CPU cooler's backing bracket attached. DOH! And I've been building PCs for ages and was considered a "gifted" child! LOL! ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]