ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Easy way to calculate timeline percentage?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joy E Reed
Easy way to calculate timeline percentage?
on Nov 2, 2016 at 3:36:39 pm

Hi, All!

I'm wondering if there's a simple way to calculate percentage of a timeline. Let's say I have an 88 minute cut, and my export consistently fails at 14%. I know my problem clip is at 14%, and I'd like to navigate directly to it, but I don't know how to translate that 14% into a timecode. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Many thanks!

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed
http://www.ohmyproductions.net

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Easy way to calculate timeline percentage?
on Nov 2, 2016 at 3:45:34 pm

I think you can get close to the area where the problem lies. Not a time code, but you can narrow it down A LOT.

So lessee.... 88 x 0.14 = 11.72. I'd begin looking at 11 minutes, and continue looking until 12 1/2 minutes. That's a lot better than 88 minutes, you have to admit. I bet you find something wonky there.

Can't tell you what to look for because you didn't mention anything about the project.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joy E Reed
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:11:02 pm

Thanks Dave!

I was definitely overthinking this. Thanks for simplifying it for me. Now that I see the answer I can't believe I didn't figure it out before.

I know what I'm looking for--we're working native with WAY too many formats and I needed to narrow the haystack to find the needle.

Thanks again for the speedy reply.

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed
http://www.ohmyproductions.net

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:37:50 pm

If you try to render the entire sequence it should balk on the offending clip(s).

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:39:41 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:49:14 pm

[Joy E Reed] "...we're working native with WAY too many formats..."

Oooh, that's not good. You may discover, after finding the initial problem, more pitfalls down the road.

Sure, PP says you can cut in a variety of media containers & codecs. Personally, I think there's a point where it's all too easy to choke the software. And I think you might have found it, sorry to say.

I always cast a cynical eye on a software developer's claims... or rather, the claims made by the software developers marketing weasels. Just 'cause they say it CAN do something doesn't mean it WILL do it reliably.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]