ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Major upgrade for my premiere setup

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed KuklaMajor upgrade for my premiere setup
by on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:15:04 pm

I've been on premiere pro 4 with a mbp17 for quite a while now. The mbp17 is starting to get finicky and operating system upgrades are tricky.

Time for a new system.
First, it MUST be a laptop, I travel.

Second, can I swing over to pc and keep using all my old files? I know the project files would be toast; I'm talking old clips, artwork, music, templates, etc that I loaded onto external hard drives that are formatted for my mac.

I suspect the safe approach will be to stick with a mbp, maybe the new one.

I am using 3 external hd drives. One for original video clips, second for templates, music and other stock items, third for scratch disc. New mbp come with fewer ports. Do I still need an external scratch disc?

Anything else I should be considering with an upgrade? My edits are fairly simple and for web use. I do expect to go to CC altho I hate the subscription model. Might consider a jump to FCP.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Major upgrade for my premiere setup
by on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:51:41 pm

If backward compatibility and repurposing/reediting past projects is important to you then staying in Mac should be one of your most important considerations. Nothing is insurmountable, but you'll be forced to deal with a lot of stuff that would otherwise be a no-brainer if you stick with a MBP.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ed KuklaRe: Major upgrade for my premiere setup
by on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:54:57 pm

David
Thnx.
Yea, figured that would be the case.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Major upgrade for my premiere setup
by on Oct 28, 2016 at 1:55:20 am

Well, there's one big hurdle to considehttps://forums.creativecow.net/adobepremierepror: any new MBP is going to have Sierra installed. I doubt you can install the previous OS. Adobe hasn't yet approved Sierra for all its applications.

Sometimes it can be tough to get Adobe applications to work on approved operating systems, to say nothing about an OS where the jury's still out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 28, 2016 at 3:22:57 pm

I am not in an immediate time crunch so I can wait for adobe to catch up to sierra.

What would be the expected time frame for adobe to synch with sierra?

I will very reluctantly switch to adobe cc, unless I decide to switch to FCP X. My only hesitation there is the re-learning curve.

Now that the specs are out on the new mbp 15, is it that much better than the old one? Should I jump on the last of the existing stock of the old model?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 29, 2016 at 1:28:55 pm

No answer to one of my questions...

Will I need an external scratch disc with a new mbp? The old school thought was to take some of the seek time away from the computer hd and give it to a separate external drive. No longer necessary? Ports are getting scarce!

And speaking of ports, I have a lot of material on older usb drives. Will they plug and play in the new version of usb or will I need adapters?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]