ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

replacing footage with transcoded

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dean chapmanreplacing footage with transcoded
by on Oct 26, 2016 at 10:03:38 pm

I know this is silly, but i edited a sequence with .mxf files.....instead of transcoding first. Editing with these files is sluggish...

Decided to transcode the footage last night to prores. What is the most efficient way to replace all .mxf files with the transcoded prores in my project/timeline?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Peter GarawayRe: replacing footage with transcoded
by on Oct 26, 2016 at 10:50:32 pm

Hi Dean,

Not silly. Depending on the .mxf files and system Premiere handles mfx quite well. Depending on how many clips you need to replace and the naming of the clips there's a few ways you can accomplish this.

In the future or perhaps for this project you may want to try the Render and Replace or Proxy feature. There's lots of great tutorials on the web. Here's some Adobe put together.

Render and Replace
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/render-replace-effects-compositi...

Proxy editing:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/proxy-media.html

A potential simple solution is:

1. Select all of your .mxf files in the sequence
2. Right-click > Select 'Make Media Offline'
3. Select all clips again > Right-click, and select 'Link Media'
4. From the Link Media dialog box, uncheck File Extension (since you changed that) > Select 'Locate'
5. Navigate to the .mov file(s) you created and select it > Select OK
All of the files may automatically get relinked but it might require you to do this one by one.

Hope this helps!

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

dean chapmanRe: replacing footage with transcoded
by on Oct 26, 2016 at 11:00:02 pm

Thanks Peter! Just as you posted this, I had tried moving the footage to another location, starting Premiere and get the relink media window....but now, when i try to replace footage with prores transcoded, i get the error message:

"the selected file cannot be linked because it has 2 audio channels and the clip was created with 4 audio channels with a different channel type"

V10.4.0

Thanks again,

-dean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]