ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to manage Room Tone and Foley together

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ayan BanerjeeHow to manage Room Tone and Foley together
by on Oct 23, 2016 at 6:59:57 am

I am a little confused on how to adjust the room tone and foley together. Well the foleys are being recorded later, so obviously the room tone behind the foleys does not match the actual room tone of the shooting location. If I keep the shooting room tone as a separate audio track throughout the scene, then during foleys the foley's room tone gets added up and a spike is heard. If I keep the location room tone in between the foleys and crossfade, then there is a slight difference of ambience. I guess while I add the dubbed dialogues I would face a similar problem. What is the professional way of handling this?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: How to manage Room Tone and Foley together
by on Oct 23, 2016 at 7:58:20 am

Record room tone same levels and with same equipment in room. Record with all props, people, cameras and tripods in same undisturbed positions. Tone changes depending on what is in the room. AC turning on/off can wreck tone as well.

Return to posts index

Ayan BanerjeeRe: How to manage Room Tone and Foley together
by on Oct 23, 2016 at 8:57:57 am

Thanks Chris, but that is not actually my problem. I am recording everything (foleys and dialogues) in the studio, which has a room tone of it's own. As far as audio recorded on set is concerned I am only using the room tone from there. How do I match the room tone on set with dialogues and foleys recorded at studio?

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: How to manage Room Tone and Foley together
by on Oct 23, 2016 at 3:39:14 pm

This is best managed with a round trip to Audition.

Sample the room tone under the Foley section(s) and run noise reduction until you get a nice "dry" Foley, use that in Premiere, and lay the on-set room tone in underneath.

You'll have to fiddle some with settings to get it to work, no doubt - experimentation is your friend.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to manage Room Tone and Foley together
by on Oct 24, 2016 at 2:39:48 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 24, 2016 at 4:07:55 pm

It also helps to minimize the Foley room tone by close mic placement to the Foley sound source. Then, when mixing in Foley, the reduced audio levels can make room tone virtually insignificant. Audition can remove much of the room tone beforehand, and it can also add in slight reverb to approximate the size of the desired room.
As already mentioned, experimentation is a key.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]