ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Guide to large projects with Premiere?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zopiro da Tracia
Guide to large projects with Premiere?
on Oct 22, 2016 at 2:35:53 pm

I'm looking to create a workflow for a big project (documentary) that I plan to edit on a Mac with Premiere.

I calculate that there will be over 60h of footage, shot with a XAVC-S camera, a Long GOP codec, which makes things sluggish.

In past experiences, Premiere always took quite a while to open big projects like these (sometimes 20 minutes), and editing was overall sluggish if compared to Final Cut Pro 7. How can I best organize this project in order to make it more agile? Should I convert all the raw footage? To which codec? And how can I best configure Premiere in order to be FAST when editing with a huge amount of media imported?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Guide to large projects with Premiere?
on Oct 22, 2016 at 3:30:42 pm

The first suggestion I have is to transcode all of your master camera files to ProRes. Use EditReady to do this. Back-up the XAVC-S originals and put them on the shelf, as your ProRes files will be the source for your final. Then if need be, you could also transcode the ProRes files to proxies within PProCC for your working edit.

You might consider breaking this up into several projects. For example, if it's interview based, create a project for each interviewee and edit a selects sequence. Import these sequences into your main project via the Media Browser. Although some feature editors work within one large PProCC project, others advise to break the film up into several smaller projects first, such as one project per "reel". This is a similar concept.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Zopiro da Tracia
on Oct 22, 2016 at 8:33:51 pm

Do you know how it's different from FCP7, for example? I remember I could open huge projects with Final Cut and editing wouldn't be sluggish at all.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 22, 2016 at 9:32:24 pm

[Zopiro da Tracia] "Do you know how it's different from FCP7, for example? I remember I could open huge projects with Final Cut and editing wouldn't be sluggish at all."

It's not the same code, so I don't think you can make any sort of direct comparison. FCP "legacy" did have a project file size limit. IIRC, it was 4GB (maybe less) and after that the project would get very unstable.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Frank Baumann
on Oct 23, 2016 at 8:17:50 pm

I am currently working on a project with 50 hours of interview footage from 40 interviewees that will become a 45-minute documentary. I made a sequence for each interview that I trim down to about 30 minutes each by removing questions, redundant answers, etc. This allows me to get the main interview footage in a relatively clean form. From these sequences, I mark topics. Then, looking at the topics that interviewees discussed, I am grouping them in new sequences containing the same topics from different interviews. These will eventually become "chapters" in the film.

What I'm currently up against is compiling all the different chapters with B-roll into the final movie. I am doing this by nesting the individual topic sequences in a master sequence where I add B-roll, chapter titles and nameplates. How are others going about this process?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]