ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Rescaling Videos

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriele Donati
Rescaling Videos
on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:02:46 pm

Hi,

I worked on a project that involved 4K video.
However, to be able to edit, I converted each 4K video into 1080p.

I opened a 1080p sequence in Premiere and edited the converted clips.
I need to export the final product in 4K, so I re-linked the converted clips to the 4K original videos.
However, now I have 4K content inside a 1080p sequence.

I tried changing the sequence properties to 4K and then re-dimensioning the re-linked clips, but it throws off some animation that I did.

I think I found a solution:

I opened up a new, empty, 4k sequence.
I took the 1080p sequence and threw it inside the 4k sequence.
And then I upscaled the whole 1080p sequence to fit the 4k comp.

Question is:

"Do I lose quality this way? Does Premiere understand that I have an upscaled 1080p sequence with 4K content, that is inside another 4K sequence?"

Or do I have to just upscale all my 4k content and re-do all my animations to get the full 4K data from the clips?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rescaling Videos
on Oct 21, 2016 at 9:23:02 pm

I'd make a 4K edit timeline. Copy all the clips in the 1080 timeline. Paste them into the 4K timeline. Select all the clips in the new timeline, right-click on one of them, and use the Scale To Frame Size command. Since everything was originally 4K, life is good.

But I have to ask -- if you were shooting 4K, and you knew you'd deliver 4K, why didn't you just CUTin 4K?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabriele Donati
on Oct 21, 2016 at 9:36:04 pm

Hi Dave!
Thanks for the quick response!

I did try that already. The problem is that I have some animated images inside the 1080p sequence, and if I Scale to Frame Size in the 4k Sequence, the image size and animation will be way off. I wanted to try and find a solution for that, if there is any.

To answer your question, there are a few reasons:
First of all, it wasn't I who created the project and edited. I am just trying to fix this issue. Second, it was initially agreed with the customer that it would be exported in 1080p. They changed their mind all of a sudden. Also, not all footage is in 4k. There are some interviews in 1080p some historical content that is in 4:3 format, and also images.

The machine here apparently cannot handle 4k editing that well, so the idea was to convert the images to 1080p to edit, and then if needed, link the videos to the 4k afterwards.

Personally I do think that it is much simpler and smarter to work with 4k ALWAYS. Because if we need 1080p, I'll just export it in 1080p.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2016 at 9:42:57 pm

Ugh. Nothing like a client who changes his mind.

Scaling the the animated images depends on the nature of the animation. I think I would NOT scale them with the rest of the footage; I would adjust them individually. It's the cost of changing one's mind too close to the end of the project.

And since this is almost done, the slowness of the edit station should not be that much of an issue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabriele Donati
on Oct 21, 2016 at 10:21:22 pm

I completely agree!

Thank you very much for the great inputs! Helped me clarify my ideas a lot!
Just wanted to know from the experts, what was the best way to go for it, and if there was any way around it! ?

Have a great weekend!

Gabriele

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]