ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

My blacks are covered in little squares

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Matson
My blacks are covered in little squares
on Oct 16, 2016 at 4:48:38 pm
Last Edited By Mark Matson on Oct 16, 2016 at 5:38:21 pm

There are little square artifacts in my black on several clips. you have to look close, but not too close.
Does anybody what might cause this?
How do i get rid of it?

This is a 1080 export using the YouTube preset of a 4k Prores 422 timeline. Does it make better sense to export at 4k and convert that file to h.264? It does take 3 hours instead of 15 min.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: My blacks are covered in little squares
on Oct 16, 2016 at 11:47:54 pm

Was this material color corrected/color graded? If so, I'd be willing to venture that these artifacts were a product of overzealous cranking on one or more of the various parameters or settings in the color app used in the process.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mark Matson
on Oct 17, 2016 at 12:02:22 am

Yes, they are graded, but the squares appear in the original files. Depending on the size you look at it.
It was shot too dark, so a little over zealous cranking was needed to get them to work. I think it is scaling artifacts. I found some similar issues over on the Blackmagic forums. The footage was shot on an Ursa, and there were other users with sort of similar issues. They said pan and tilt .5 in resolve, but another suggestion noise reduction. I'm trying everything.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 17, 2016 at 9:31:53 am

Was the footage recorded internally or to an external recorder?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 17, 2016 at 2:36:27 pm

I zoomed in on the image and doesn't look like macro blocking/compression artifacts at all! The lower half of screen has a waffle pattern on it. Almost like a sensor issue of some sort. See t-shirt for instance.

I don't know the cause or the fix, but if this same thing is on the original footage, it would not seem to be a compression issue in my experience.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mark Matson
on Oct 17, 2016 at 4:49:11 pm

Yeah, really weird. Now I find out over on the Blackmagic forums, others have seen this. It's some kind of scaling thing. It went away when I unplugged my 1080 monitor and only used my MacBook Pro. I then exported at 4K, and converted that file down. Looks great. I noticed clips that I pushed in on in the timeline had more artifacts than others. I have a whole other video shot on that camera on black as well. But like 200 clips. In the finder it's all waffle pattern, when the external monitor is plugged in. It not when it's gone. Weird.

Return to posts index

Mark Matson
on Oct 17, 2016 at 4:43:32 pm

Was recorded internally. Cf cards. Copied onto lacie 6tb big disc.

Return to posts index

Nathan Walters
on Oct 17, 2016 at 4:54:51 pm

I've had the same issue with my BMPC. Still not sure of the definite answer. But basically it seems to be caused when pushing the camera too far with ISO, shutter, etc. I am no expert and may be incredibly wrong, but I think it has something to do with the sensor and the debayering process used in the cameras. I was able to clean it up in Resolve using some misc noise removal techniques. Basically it softened it out and made it disappear. So maybe try that in Premiere as well.

Nathan Walters
Halo Union Productions
http://www.HaloUnion.com

Return to posts index

Mark Matson
on Oct 17, 2016 at 5:19:22 pm

Thanks. Nathan, David, Tero, and Jeff. I appreciate your time in trying to help me out. It's been quite a challenge, but I think I'm out of the woods, now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]