ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Red workflow? - Edit, Colour, Visual Effects

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward AndrewsRed workflow? - Edit, Colour, Visual Effects
by on Oct 16, 2016 at 3:41:49 pm

I'm trying to get my head around the Red workflow when working with VFX and a colourist, and delivering at 2k. Could do with a little help...

Basically i've shot a film on these formats:
4k Red Scarlet
6k Red Dragon
4k DJI Inspire 1 Drone

It's a 15 minute film, which I have edited together on a 4k timeline (4096x2160) in latest Premiere CC, using a quicktime proxy workflow for the Red footage. All the proxy files were rendered out of Redcine Xpro at their original size retaining the timecode (I hope!).

Now that the edit is complete I want to relink all the files to the r3ds and deliver the visual effect shots to the artists in 'open EXR' format retaining metadata and correct frameranges.

My question is how to do this correctly and make sure that no data is lost or colourspace change when working between the edit, colourist and vfx house.

Someone mentioned that I should try and relink the film through an XML or EDL in Resolve and export the visual effects 'open EXRs' from there with REDdragon2 colourspace. But it seems that the basic free Davinci Resolve doesn't have a 4k timeline option so I can't do that.

Should I be doing this in Premiere instead then? Will Premiere's export option for EXRs retain the metadata? Also as final deliver is at 2k i'm worried about how i'm supposed to get all the vfx and graded shots to fit with the transforms and animation that i've done on the 4k timeline in Premiere. All a bit too confusing and could do with a bit of help if anyone knows what to do??

Programs I'll be using:
Edit = Premiere
Colourist = might be in Baselight or Resolve
Visual Effects = Nuke, Maya, Photoshop etc

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved