ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Hardware for Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jirka MuchaHardware for Premiere
by on Oct 16, 2016 at 1:26:11 pm

Hello, I'm planning to buy a new PC. My budget is about 1.000 EUR. I do basic editing work in Premiere, working with Luts and color grading, occasionally with AE. As to hardware I'm totally lost. Please can anybody give me a suggestion what kind of Graphic Card and processor would be best for me? Thank you for any advice

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Hardware for Premiere
by on Oct 16, 2016 at 7:07:59 pm

Premiere likes Intel and Nvidia.

You can probably do better by building rather than buying, if you shop carefully.

Return to posts index

Jirka MuchaRe: Hardware for Premiere
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:26:33 am

Thank you Alan. Can you recommend any graphic card in a budget 200 eur?

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Hardware for Premiere
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 2:56:59 pm

Hi Jirka,

It will be difficult to build a decent machine for 1000 euro. 1500 might buy the parts for decent self-built. You want a larger power supply, like 700w at least. Look at a Z170 chipset motherboard, and a Core i7-6700 Intel processor. 16GB RAM minimum, 32GB if budget allows (more RAM benefits AE).

The GTX 1060 display card is available for the 200 euro budget.

Go with an SSD boot drive if you can, and you will need a separate, fast, dedicated drive for video. Either internal 7200rpm SATA (64mb cache) or maybe an external USB 3.0 solution. A RAID 0 setup (2 drives) will improve performance. A RAID 0 can be set up easily in Windows or there are many external USB 3.0 RAID 0 drives available for media editing, such as Glyph, G-Tech, etc.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jirka MuchaRe: Hardware for Premiere
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 8:09:22 am

Hi Jeff, thank you so much. As to the graphic card there are many types of GTX 1060 . Would you recommend some particular one? I'm planning to buy one SSD drive. Just I have no clue what RAID 0 means. Will search on internet.

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Hardware for Premiere
by on Oct 17, 2016 at 5:08:18 pm

What Jeff said.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Hardware for Premiere
by on Oct 18, 2016 at 2:05:32 pm

Hi Jirka,

With the GTX 1060 model, you can choose 3GB or 6GB of RAM onboard, so 6GB ought to be better. Then you have a few different fan choices, like single or dual fan or blower, that is up to you. Maybe research online as to which has more efficient cooling or is quieter?

RAID means Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. There are many different RAID modes, but in essence it means taking 2 or more drives and joining them together so they work faster, and/or offer backup features to prevent data loss. It's possible to have 16 or more drives in a single array, for very fast performance and also offering data backup so that if a drive (or drives) fail, replace them and it can rebuild the lost data. Depends on RAID mode though, and some modes require a special hardware controller card.

RAID 0 is the simplest type of RAID. Two or more drives in this mode get combined to basically double speed and capacity of the single drive. So two 2TB drives in RAID 0 provide 4TB usable space, and is much faster than either drive working alone. The downside is that if one of the drives fail, you lose all data on both drives.

Think of a narrow, single lane road with a high volume of traffic all going one way. Traffic is congested and slow. If that road then forks left and right, cars can alternate going left, right, left, right, and so on, reducing the backup and increasing the flow of traffic. So it is with RAID 0 - incoming data is shared equally between both drives, so it's almost like doubling the read or write speed. It's a cheap way to get fast storage. But again, without a safety net - you may want to get an inexpensive external backup drive and use it.

So you can install two matching SATA drives inside the computer, then in Windows Disk Management, format the two as a Stripe Set, and this will make them RAID 0. To Windows and all apps, the two drives appear as a single volume, with a single drive letter. Read or write to it as you would any other drive. But much faster!

Many vendors offer external enclosures with two drives inside, with USB 3.0 connection, and RAID 0 mode so that it operates as one fast drive. There are also 4 drive units available with RAID 0 for even more capacity and speed.

Some of them also offer a RAID 1 mode. This will write the SAME data to both drives, so you always have an instant backup, but of course then you get the speed of a single drive, just backup up at all times. Good for archiving, like with photography. With video, you may want the speed instead by using RAID 0.

Any time you want to use a hard drive for video, make sure it is 7200rpm, 64mb cache, and not a "green drive" as they favor economy over performance. Get a Western Digital Caviar Black, or Seagate Barracuda for instance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]