ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Import H264 AVC .mp4 into Premiere 6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
archi cheung
Import H264 AVC .mp4 into Premiere 6
on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:57:50 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to use Premiere, been using FCP and Avid before. I have some footage in .MXF encoded in
"h264 mpeg-4 avc part 10 codec format".

When I import it in Premiere, a error message "codec missing or unavailable" appeared.

How can I fix this? I try to find codec for it but couldn't able to do so. This file can't play on my Quick time player as well. I am only able to view it via VLC. Thank you very much.

Best regards
Archi

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Import H264 AVC .mp4 into Premiere 6
on Oct 14, 2016 at 6:13:11 am

By Premiere 6 do you mean 6 or CS6? Also I'd guess that file is in Sony XAVC and probably isn't supported in those versions.

Return to posts index

archi cheung
on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:03:50 am

Yea, I have Premiere CS6.

If it is not being supported, does it mean I have to transfer the file into something else? Is there a way to work around like installing that codec? Thank you once again.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 14, 2016 at 5:46:47 pm

You'll have to transcode it to a codec that works in that version of Premiere. Davinci Resolve has a free version you could try.

Return to posts index

archi cheung
on Oct 15, 2016 at 1:12:23 am

Thank you for your suggestion Tero, I will give it a try :)

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Oct 14, 2016 at 5:52:48 pm

I get those XAVC mpeg-4 .mxf files out of my Sony RX10. I used AME to convert them to Pro-Res files for my producer who works with FCP7 (too many acronyms and codes in one sentence!).
But your question leaves me curious--is there any quality/stability difference in a final product whether you transcode before editing or when finished?

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

archi cheung
on Oct 15, 2016 at 1:31:41 am

Yes Robert, there are so many different formats nowadays, remember the days when we just got beta tape?

My initial plan is to skip transcoding since I am afraid it will take a long time.

By the way, is there a codec you suggest for the final output since Pro Res is an Apple codec, I am afraid that my client wouldn't able to read in PC computer... Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]