ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Canon XLH1 HDV 4 channel sound issues with Premiere CS5

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christophe De Backer
Canon XLH1 HDV 4 channel sound issues with Premiere CS5
on Oct 7, 2016 at 6:02:52 pm

I'm trying to capture all 4 audio channels from footage captured with the Canon XL-H1.

I can capture via firewire the video and audio from channel 1 & 2.
But Channel 3 (Sony URX-P1) and 4 are only hearable on the camera it won't capture in Premiere CS5 (or FCP 6.)

I know it's a old camera hopefully there is still someone remembering all this stuff ?

Kind regards

Christophe from Belgium

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Canon XLH1 HDV 4 channel sound issues with Premiere CS5
on Oct 7, 2016 at 8:03:53 pm

Hi Christophe,

Wow, it has been years since I've seen a posting about the Canon HDV 4-channel audio. I don't know the solution via Firewire, but what if you take the analog audio out from camera, and route to the LINE IN on computer, and just let the tape play and record the audio "live"? Then drop the recorded audio into NLE timeline and manually sync with channels 1 and 2 of the HDV clip?

I just did a web search for "how to capture 4 channel audio from canon xlh1" and found many posts 8-10 years old, no clear solutions though. One suggested that you may need to use the headphone out jack to get analog output of channels 3-4.

Good luck to you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Oct 7, 2016 at 8:43:05 pm

I'm trying to remember this as well, it wasn't an easy thing if I recall.

was HDV 4 channel audio limited to 32khz? (like DV)

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 7, 2016 at 9:18:11 pm

Hi Chris,

miniDV used PCM (uncompressed) audio, while HDV went to compressed MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio. Specs I found for the XLH1 suggest a total bitrate of 384kbps, so four channel would be 96 per track, or 192kbps per stereo pair.

You are correct that DV had 32k and 48k options available for recording.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Christophe De Backer
on Oct 8, 2016 at 7:41:27 am

it's an oldie alright. But footage is still beautiful to use for internet movies. So it's a nice retairment from a "old" broadcast camera.

I'm wondering how they did it 10 years ago. I thought that this old technologie would work faster now than 10 years ago. But apparently it was something to wonder about.

Or did they use a SDI capture device? Will that work with thunderbolt and Premiere CS5?

If firewire isn't the solution I'm open for suggestions.

Christophe from Belgium

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]