ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Fixing odd discoloration/banding in footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh FriesFixing odd discoloration/banding in footage
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 12:53:37 pm

I have this distracting contoured banding in the recorded footage. It only seems to be in the orange.
It's almost as if the footage were shot through a screen door. I didn't shoot this, so I'm not entirely sure on everything.
Playing back the footage, as she moves, the discoloration gets very distracting. The banding is in the recorded file.

They shot on GH4s to H.264 .mov. I believe they were using a new LED lighting rig. That's about all I know.
They shot outside on the same cameras earlier that day, and there were no issues. This is the first time I've come across this with the setup my company uses.

Two questions.
1. Does anyone know what would cause this?
2. Any suggestions on removing it? Either using Premiere or AE

I have been using Creative Cow for well over a decade, since High School. Thank you so much in advance for the advice!

Return to posts index

Kevin JohnsonRe: Fixing odd discoloration/banding in footage
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 2:32:49 pm

That is called moire, and is caused by too fine of spacing between the recorded lines of resolution. You typically see it on ties and shirts that are too "busy." You could blur it a couple pixels and use an orange choma key as a matte to isolate it. Here are a couple other suggestions:

Return to posts index

Josh FriesRe: Fixing odd discoloration/banding in footage
by on Oct 5, 2016 at 4:30:20 pm

Thanks for the response! I'm glad I finally have a word to represent what was going on. Moire! I knew that happened on busy patterned stuff, but never on solid colors. I learn something new every day 😉

It was a little intense for just a simple blur. However, I did find that Neat Video's noise reducer plugin is actually doing a pretty good job to tone it down. While it's not completely gone, my eyes aren't drawn there instantly! Since the moire isn't in every channel, I was able to noise reduce the proper channels and the moire is practically gone. It definitely is good enough!

Thanks again, you helped point me in the right direction. I always value the Creative Cow's community

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved