ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Fixing in and out of focus video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shanan Gough
Fixing in and out of focus video
on Oct 3, 2016 at 7:37:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm a complete rookie to video editing unfortunately. I have a video where the autofocus was struggling throughout. It (reasonably randomly) goes in and out of focus which creates almost a bouncing effect. I've been researching and googling for a couple of days and can't quite work out what to do to lessen this problem. I realise it's still going to look pretty average but I feel like there must be a way to get it better.

I thought maybe a warp stabilize would help but I've been playing with that for hours and can't get it to do much. I guess what I'm really looking for is a way to lock the background down. The video is literally just a person sitting in front of the camera talking. The camera is stationary and the only movement is the person bobbing around a little as they talk.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Fixing in and out of focus video
on Oct 3, 2016 at 7:49:20 pm

You can't fix autofocus issues in post. Either use what you can or reshoot.

Return to posts index

Shanan Gough
on Oct 3, 2016 at 7:52:06 pm

Okay, I appreciate the frank response. Thank you

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Oct 4, 2016 at 11:08:09 am

In the future, set your focus then set the camera to manual focus so it doesn't change.

Return to posts index

James Sdoof
on Oct 4, 2016 at 11:31:37 am

The background is a somewhat easy fix based on what you described but you may need to bring it into After Effects. Assuming the background doesn't have something with recognizably specific movement, you would need to mask the person on one layer and then create a second layer with a background without a person. Essentially you green screen the person inside After Effects and then replace the background.

Return to posts index

Shanan Gough
on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:53:18 pm

Oh cool, that makes sense. Will give that a go. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]