ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Cutting 4K DCI footage (GH4), delivering in 2K DNxHR

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan NastroCutting 4K DCI footage (GH4), delivering in 2K DNxHR
by on Oct 1, 2016 at 12:12:16 am

Cutting a some video shot on a handful of GH4s shot in 4K for 2K delivery after a color pass in Resolve. My basic question is, what should my working timeline be? 2K? 4K? I do plan to do some reframing and resizing, my computer can easily handle the 4K video. If I blow up the footage in a 4K timeline to 200% but eventually delivering to 2K (where it would, in fact, be 100%) will it have an adverse affect compared to starting off in a 2K timeline? My producer is a bit of a quality freak so want to be sure I cover my bases.

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: Cutting 4K DCI footage (GH4), delivering in 2K DNxHR
by on Oct 1, 2016 at 1:10:30 am

Cut in a 2K timeline and reframe as needed. As you cut clips to the timeline use "set to frame size" (not "scale") to fill the frame. I'm not exactly sure how the GH4 handles TC, but in my experience, round-tripping to Resolve with any DSLR footage can be - and usually is - a relinking disaster. If you plan to cut natively, then export a flattened, single file and then blade it at the cuts in Resolve. The preferred approach would be to convert all of the GH4 files to an editing format like ProRes or DNxHD/HR first. Make sure these have proper TC and unique file names. This will assure that Resolve properly relinks.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved