ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere pro proxy workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Martinez
Premiere pro proxy workflow
on Sep 26, 2016 at 10:16:12 pm

Hi, I have a question on premiere's new proxy workflow.
Let's say I've created proxy files from 4K media that I wish to edit on a 1080p timeline for reframing, stabilizing.. etc.
Do I let premiere automatically create the timeline based on the proxy file settings (which are smaller than 1080p)?
Or do I manually create the 1080p timeline and edit in that.

Also what if I wanted to just edit the 4K proxy files in 1080p time line or a timeline automatically created by premiere based on the proxy clip settings and then when I'm finished export the full 4K file..
Is it as simple as clicking the button that makes premiere use the original files?

Return to posts index

Lisa Bradley
Re: Premiere pro proxy workflow
on Sep 28, 2016 at 1:27:06 pm

Hi --

What is your codec for your proxy files? Are they PR Proxy?

Lisa Bradley
Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Roberto Martinez
on Sep 28, 2016 at 1:28:19 pm

Prores Proxy

Return to posts index

Matt Dunne
on Sep 28, 2016 at 3:10:15 pm

Hi Roberto, I would manually set up your sequence settings since the proxy files are most likely ProRes LT. Edit with the proxy files as you would like to and when you render or export Premiere will automatically switch to the original media. Make sure when you bring in your files they are "set to frame size" and not scale so you can still use the full resolution of the 4K media when you are moving the clip around.

I'm a little confused by your second question since you aren't exporting a 4K file but a 1080p file. It's my understanding that the proxy button in Premiere is just for play back so once you hit export you'll see it will take a bit longer and your original media will be used.

Return to posts index

Roberto Martinez
on Sep 28, 2016 at 3:35:14 pm

Hey Matt,
Ok, so I have another question..
Let's say I create the default PPro proxy file size preset that's in the ingest settings which is 1024x540.
When I create the sequence should I have the sequence automatically be created with that resolution, or 1080 (since that's what my final export would be), or the original 4k files, cause 1080 or 4k would be what I eventually export to?

Let's say you suggest to edit in the 1024x540 proxy files in a sequence that matches its resolution.
If I do any zooms, or pans on the footage will those movements translate once I export to 1080 or 4k?
Or do I need to create a different sequence with the size of 1080 or 4k and copy my edits from the proxy footage on to there and then toggle ON the Online footage.. so I can get everything that I need in the proper size I'll be using for export..?

PS. Is there anyway to tell PPro to handle all my footage as set to frame size?
I see that there's a checkbox in the preferences for scale to size but nothing for set to frame size..

Return to posts index

Matt Dunne
on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:04:50 pm

Create your sequence to whatever your final export would be. In this case it's 1080p since you're moving and scaling the 4K files around. Those scales and moves will be translated back to the 4K footage. You can always turn on and off the proxy preview to make sure when you've done your move or just render that section which will show the full resolution files.

I don't think there's a default for set to frame size. I just create a shortcut and apply as I need to. Also double check your proxies, 1024x540 isn't 16:9 so you may want to consider the 1280x720 proxy if your 4K footage is 16:9 that is.

-editor of things

Return to posts index

Roberto Martinez
on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:07:54 pm

Thanks, I was just using 1024x540 as an example.

When you say you created a shortcut for set to frame size.. do you mean a keyboard shortcut?

Return to posts index

Matt Dunne
on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:09:08 pm

Yup.

-editor of things

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]