ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Wanting to deinterlace VHS video and choose with field to throw out, experiencing issues in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David NotowitzWanting to deinterlace VHS video and choose with field to throw out, experiencing issues in Premiere Pro
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:54:34 pm

Friends,
Not sure what's going on here. I'd love a clear explanation from an expert.
I captured VHS footage into my MacBook Pro using BlackMagic Design converter through Thunderbolt.

If I view the resulting file with QuickTime Player, I can see the interlaced fields (see first pic below, taken of my TV screen using my iPhone). Alternatively, if I view the clip within Adobe Premiere, the interlaced fields are more blurred together (see second pic below).

I'd love to experiment with removing one or the other of the fields from the video, to see how it affects the image detail and quality, but the few options I've found through Adobe Premiere don't seem to be helping to do this.
Any thoughts?
All the best,
David

NCAVF, The National Center for Audio and Video Forensics
http://www.NCAVF.com

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Wanting to deinterlace VHS video and choose with field to throw out, experiencing issues in Premiere Pro
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:17:00 pm

Hi David! Long time no chat...

First, the reason you see a difference on your computer monitor vs a "real" video monitor or TV is that computer monitors do not display fields, TVs and video monitors do. So, you're seeing fields on the video monitor, and frames (both fields displayed simultaneously) in the computer monitor.

The video monitor is the more accurate representation of reality, but if your clients will only be viewing on a computer monitor then that's the one to pay attention to.

FYI, using a deinterlace filter will indeed remove either the upper or lower field, you do get to choose in the parameter settings, but deinterlacing will remove half of the resolution as well. Given the overall quality of the video, which looks pretty funky, you're best trying every permutation and just selecting the one that looks best on the monitor that best matches your client's method of viewing.

If you need more help feel free to call me at three-ten, 729-seven nine zero six.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David NotowitzRe: Wanting to deinterlace VHS video and choose with field to throw out, experiencing issues in Premiere Pro
by on Sep 23, 2016 at 12:08:40 am

David,
True, it has been a long time! Thank you for responding.
I may not have been clear about the following issue:
Both of those images were taken of the same screen, a Samsung TV.

The second image was playing through Premiere Pro.
All the best,
David

NCAVF, The National Center for Audio and Video Forensics
http://www.NCAVF.com

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Wanting to deinterlace VHS video and choose with field to throw out, experiencing issues in Premiere Pro
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:34:21 pm

you can't decide what to do until you decide how you want it to look. there are many ways to handle interlaced.

1. leave interlaced and supported playback interlaced systems. you won't see lines. motion will stay fluid
2. deinterlace will also slow temporally the information(ex. 29i to 29p) via discard, blend, interpolate(motion compensation)
3. double frame to fields bob, progressive scan etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]