ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver PetersAudio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 12:41:09 am

I've run into this with several projects lately.

The timeline is mainly video clips and I'm adding and editing added VO audio or music. The audio files are 48kHz WAVs. As I do a bit of audio editing, the playback of the system starts to go out of sync on the desktop. IOW, not just the video in the viewer (and external monitor), but also the playback position of the timeline itself is out of sync with what I'm hearing. When it's out of sync, scrubbing is also out when I compare the cursor position, the audio waveform of the clip and what I hear. If I exit Premiere Pro and relaunch, it's stable for a while and then the same thing again after a bit.

The machine is 12-core Mac Pro tower running El Capitan and media is on a USB 3.0 attached RAID (via internal PCIe USB 3.0 card). Output video is via a BMD Decklink Extreme card.

Anyone else see this? Thoughts?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:57:22 am

It is part of the software adventure that is CC 2015.3. Ain't it fun?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:06:12 am

[Dave LaRonde] "It is part of the software adventure that is CC 2015.3. Ain't it fun?
"

Yo Dave! We're already at 2015.4. Get with the times! In the next version it'll actually burn down your house.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 3:55:32 am

Try to clean your media cache.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 6:08:11 am

What exact Ae version? If it's 13.8.0 you should update to 13.8.1

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 12:56:41 pm

[Roei Tzoref] "What exact Ae version? If it's 13.8.0 you should update to 13.8.1"

Premiere Pro, not AE. I'm on the latest version (August update PPro 2015.4).

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:06:40 pm

FWIW - I don't have this issue in FCPX nor Media Composer.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 3:00:40 pm

sorry. multi tasking and misplaced myself in the wrong forum.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 23, 2016 at 12:55:34 pm

[Oliver Peters] " As I do a bit of audio editing, the playback of the system starts to go out of sync on the desktop. IOW, not just the video in the viewer (and external monitor), but also the playback position of the timeline itself is out of sync with what I'm hearing. When it's out of sync, scrubbing is also out when I compare the cursor position, the audio waveform of the clip and what I hear. If I exit Premiere Pro and relaunch, it's stable for a while and then the same thing again after a bit."

Happens to me from time to time, but going back at least 3 years so I don't think it's OSX or PPro version specific. Tends to happen more when other programs - especially non Adobe like Pages or even Text Editor are open. If it's real serious try transcoding audio to .AIF - that helps sometimes. Also restart the computer rather than just restart Ppro.

Nothing like intermitant problems to drive one to drink.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2016 at 11:54:38 pm

It appears that this issue is related to the BMD Decklink card. I received some input on this issue with some suggestions to remedy it. At least I can't get it to act up right now. Although friends have warned me that it will come back :)

I had my Premiere Pro audio prefs set to use Adobe Desktop for audio playback. I presume that this sends the audio out through the OS X system and then from there to the card. So you still hear audio output via the BMD card. When I had switched this to Blackmagic Playback in the past to match the video, I got very wonky results. No audio, timeline play at 2X, etc. But it appears I didn't wait long enough for the switch to change over. It seems like it took a minute or two to actually lock in. That's why it was set to Adobe Desktop.

I switched it to Blackmagic Playback, which is the recommended setting. At first I thought it was giving me problems again, but after a little while all was good. I presume this is then a direct connection between Premiere and the card drivers rather than using the OS. In any case, right now it seems pretty solid. I guess if it doesn't happen again, then it's fixed. We'll see.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Audio playback sync issues when editing audio files
by on Sep 24, 2016 at 4:41:37 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It appears that this issue is related to the BMD Decklink card"

That makes sense, I'm using a Decklink card as well. I wonder if I switched to an aja or other video output card if that would eliminate the problem?

[Oliver Peters] "I had my Premiere Pro audio prefs set to use Adobe Desktop for audio playback. I presume that this sends the audio out through the OS X system and then from there to the card. So you still hear audio output via the BMD card. When I had switched this to Blackmagic Playback in the past to match the video, I got very wonky results."

I've always had the audio on Blackmagic out, so if that's the solution, I'm still in trouble.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]