ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Very cloudy/washed-out YouTube videos

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil IovinoVery cloudy/washed-out YouTube videos
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 6:04:45 pm

Hey all, after uploading videos to YouTube my videos look very cloudy. The videos properties are -

Here's how it looks locally -

And here's how YouTube trashes it -

It might be a little hard to see that small but the colors are really cloudy. I've even tried exporting as wmv and it didn't help. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Return to posts index

Mike DamianRe: Very cloudy/washed-out YouTube videos
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:33:06 pm

Have you tried to see how it looks in a different media player, maybe VLC? I have had issues with quicktime making my footage look hazy but it look right through VLC, Premiere and when it posts. How does it look in your editing software?

Return to posts index

Phil IovinoRe: Very cloudy/washed-out YouTube videos
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 10:34:22 pm

I've uploaded an original clip to https://mega.nz/#!6IEzEBYZ!Miztywpvn6e1ew7O-_tSg0SQwqczaVD8ZNLDKpXzACo

The clip was uploaded to YouTube at

As you can see, the difference is huge. Warning: The clip contains some adult language but when you see it you'll laugh. ;) First drone flight.. lol.

It looks fine in Windows Media Player, VLC, and QuickTime. One thing that seems a little odd to me is Premiere exports the H.264 mp4 as a 1.1 GB file for 13 minute clip. I'm using Premiere to export, not Adobe Encoder. (Should I?)

Another weird thing - the video is 1920x1080 but on YouTube it reports the dimensions at 1600x900 and the resolution at 1280x720.

I'm not sure if this matters but in premiere I started with a new 1080p sequence and then dragged the 1920x1200 clips into the timeline while keeping the sequence's settings. The black bars are expected but again, after exporting, the quality looks perfectly fine regardless of the file format Premiere exports. I've tried mp4 and wmv.

This really seems like a problem with the way YouTube processes it as I'm definitely uploading a perfectly fine 1920x1080 file and YouTube trashes it.

Suggestions are welcome. :)

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Very cloudy/washed-out YouTube videos
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:39:29 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:42:16 pm

add this to media encoder as final post step. it will look wrong until you upload it to youtube.

64 cube iridas lut for burning in darker 16-235 from 0-255 for youtube upload. you post darken image, then youtube re-lightens again.

10598_fixmyyoutube.cube.zip

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 6:58:28 pm

Will this work with Premiere itself?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:09:22 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:13:25 pm

in lumetri color as lut in premiere

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:44:06 pm

Is https://mixinglight.com/portfolio/adding-technical-creative-luts-to-the-lum... how to do that?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 9:57:49 pm

i just clicked browse to my desktop. i suppose you could try adding it to the adobe folder LUTs > Technical.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]