ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon DavidsIs Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:46:17 am

So, I have been working with premiere for over a year now and have made 100 youtube videos and feel like I know what I'm doing. I'm also a software engineer with 25 years experience, so I think I have a decent idea about how software works, files and the file system, but I don't know how Premiere is coded at all.

I received the following error when opening a project I have been working on:

"premiere this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type."

I received this error a couple weeks ago and deleted my cache folder(s) and was able to get into the project but all of the clips on the timeline were red, indicating missing media. After some googling and reading some adobe articles, I did some random combination of uninstall and using the Adobe cleaning tool and deleting my cache folders and somehow the project loaded properly. I also saw a little window after reinstall and login about installing codecs, and based on what I read, I believe it was a codec issue. I don't know why Adobe is destroying my codecs or licenses for them and I haven't installed any other software such as codec packs or media players etc...

So, today I was not so lucky and couldn't recover the project. I first deleted my cache folders and then I was at least able to open the project but all clips in the timeline were red. If I tried to relink the media, it would warn me about breaking the audio and I can't undo it. Selecting Yes would show the video but no audio. After a few uninstall, clean and reinstall, nothing happened, so I opened a chat session and allowed the Adobe rep to remote into my computer and take control. The session lasted almost 2 hours. First he did all kinds of things, none of which worked. Then he accused me of "breaking the AVCHD folder structure", which I wasn't even aware of.

So, here is what he told me. He said do NOT use the double click of your bin (double click on empty space) to import media. He said you must use the media browser only. Also he said that by me copying my *.MTS files onto my hard drive without the files in the folders above was a problem. He said to copy the AVCHD folder over to the hard drive, which is 2 folders above where the .MTS files are. Mind you, I have been doing that for over a year and editing every day and only run into this twice, and I think that both times is when Adobe did an update. If I'm required to do that, it's going to make it awfully messy for me to copy files from my sd card into separate project folders since the names of the metadata/supporting files do not match the MTS files. It seems like a messy workflow.

So after explaining all this to me, he said that there was nothing I could do and my project was trashed. I was able to prove him wrong in 60 seconds, by using the media browser to import all the media again from a different folder on my hard drive, but the same files, and then simply linking the media from that new folder.

He also explained to me that if I used MP4 that I wouldn't have this problem, but I had an MP4 file in there and it was suffering from the same symptoms. I had to make a copy of the mp4 file and then link that media to the new copy and it worked.

While I may concede ignorance on the MTS files and their metadata, if Adobe was designed to work with the metadata then why would it let me import ten thousand MTS for over a year and work just fine, no problems without any of the supporting files? Also, why would the programmers allow there to be an import process that didn't work, or work differently than another import method without informing the user etc.? Furthermore if this was my fault and I wouldn't have a problem with MP4, then why did I have a problem with MP4. He blamed my computer and said it was a permission issue where I was allowed to access video but not audio, again it makes no sense.

I firmly believe Adobe has cost me about 10 hours of work. Work that I can make a high dollar return on. I firmly believe that Adobe is damaging, removing, uninstalling, unregistering my codecs somehow and the magical uninstall & clean and reinstall and relogin is not working. I believe the audio was not working because of said missing codec.

Does anyone have any comments or insight into this? I'm working on a video for a charity and I was destroyed to think I had to start over. If this happens one more time, I will probably stop using the Adobe products even though I would be heartbroken, as I love using them and have become proficient.

Thanks for anyone's insight and time.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 5:12:42 am

[Brandon Davids] "Then he accused me of "breaking the AVCHD folder structure", which I wasn't even aware of."

Here's the thing. This folder structure thing has been in a bunch of AVCHD workflow white papers from the time the codec came out. Usually the camera manufacturers had their own tools to deal with the footage or in the case of FCP one would log and transcode it to prores or what have you.

[Brandon Davids] "It seems like a messy workflow."

AVCHD being troublesome with its folder structures et al isn't Adobe's fault. You can bring in some mts files and not have problems with them. Certain workflows might get broken (missing timecode) and spanned clips might not work properly so the "whole card in its own folder and use media browser" is a sure way to keep that working correctly.

Return to posts index

Brandon DavidsRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 12:00:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess that if I wanted to move the videos from my sd card into different folders because I shot totally different movies with them, that I could move the entire SD card to a folder on my hard drive and then move the MTS files wherever I want, and then simply make a copy of ALL the supporting files above them, since they don't take up much room.

Now what about the fact that my MP4 file was broken and the fact that when this happened last time, that I was able to recover somehow?

I appreciate your knowledge and time, thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 12:19:06 pm

If you have the whole Creative Cloud paid for you could add Prelude to your arsenal. You can transcode your AVCHD footage to some other format (like DNxHD or Cineform) that doesn't require the folder structure thing. Those formats also require less of your computer and run better than AVCHD. On the downside depending on the settings they might take more space than AVCHD.

Return to posts index

Brandon DavidsRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 12:23:45 pm

Thanks. I'll look into that. I do have the CC suite. I have a beast of a computer with multiple and fast M.2 SSD's but I do a lot of PIP style overlays, green screen, animation and effects. Sometimes, I have to drop down to 1/2 resolution for preview to make it smooth, especially if I have some 4k clips. More speed is always good!

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 1:04:12 pm

If you do go the transcoding route....

choosing Quicktime as your media container has the added benefit of being Metadata Keyword capable in Adobe Bridge as well. This allows you media to become much more discoverable as well.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 1:54:52 pm
Last Edited By Alex Udell on Sep 21, 2016 at 1:55:49 pm

Also....Terho....

did you know the latest version of Media Encoder has:

• Media Browser panel built in
• ability to Mark IN/OUT in the Picon View
• Options to Stitch multiple files on Encode

?

It's getting very good!

I'm relying on it more and more every day.

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 3:59:45 pm

[Brandon Davids] "I received the following error when opening a project I have been working on:

"premiere this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type."
"

You don't need to transcode, this means your copy of Premiere is in Trial Mode, which removes project presets. You need to troubleshoot that.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:58:33 pm

This is exactly why I asked this question. I think this is a problem with Adobe. I would never just un-register my software. I think adobe did an update and got screwed up. When I log back in it's not properly registering my codecs etc...

I did a full uninstall and clean and it didn't help.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2016 at 6:01:09 pm

You did a full install of Premiere or Creative Cloud App?

sometimes the Cloud App needs a fresh install...

and as the cloud app itself is the gateway to verifying your account credentials...

that can definitely push you into trial mode...

ugh....

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2016 at 6:18:23 pm

From the original post. I got the error message when opening the project, and the project won't open. I can delete all my cache folders and then load the project, but then all media is red and appears unlinked but none of my media has sound.

I did a full uininstall and a full clean of the entire adobe suite using the adobe clean tool, including the CC app. On installation of CC app, by downloading from Adobe, logging in and then re-installing premiere and media encoder etc.... it didn't help.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:08:59 pm

[Brandon Davids] "While I may concede ignorance on the MTS files and their metadata, if Adobe was designed to work with the metadata then why would it let me import ten thousand MTS for over a year and work just fine, no problems without any of the supporting files?"
PPro, like FCP 7, gives users a lot of flexibility which means it also gives users a lot of rope with which to hang themselves. Just because it has been working fine doesn't mean it's a proper/supported workflow.

[Brandon Davids] "Also, why would the programmers allow there to be an import process that didn't work, or work differently than another import method without informing the user etc.?"

I've been using PPro for about three years and once I found out that bringing in media via the Media Browser was the 'proper' way to do things I too wondered why File->Import and drag n' drop were still allowed (or at least didn't pop up a warning or something).

[Brandon Davids] "He blamed my computer and said it was a permission issue where I was allowed to access video but not audio, again it makes no sense."

Lots of computer errors make no sense. They are incredibly complex systems and user action or piece of code in part of the system can have unintended consequences that breaks an entirely different part of the system. For many people rebooting the machine is first or second in line when it comes to trouble shooting but I bet 99.9% of users (myself included) couldn't tell you how exactly rebooting should fix the whatever problem is going on. We just hope it will.

Return to posts index

Mike DamianRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 8:15:14 pm

This is crazy, I had the same thing just happen to me after quitting the software and shutting down my computer (troubleshooting a different issue). Went to open premiere and I got the same message. Went through all my auto saves same thing. Then it popped up saying I can start my trial??? What the heck, I'm paid up. Sign up now, then it signed me into my account. Everything opens fine now, now lets see if the restart helped the original issue. LOL

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: Is Adobe Support Lying to me? "this project contained a sequence that could not be opened no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 8:16:37 pm

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/features-presets-missing-premiere-pr...

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 4:14:29 am

[Andrew Kimery] "I've been using PPro for about three years and once I found out that bringing in media via the Media Browser was the 'proper' way to do things I too wondered why File->Import and drag n' drop were still allowed (or at least didn't pop up a warning or something)."

Because the file itself has a valid video and audio track. Also not all AVCHD cameras hide the metadata to additional folders. It's a bad format.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 3:40:02 pm

This is NOT adding up for the following reasons, plus I have an easy fix for when this happens and I don't need the metadata/supporting files either; therefore, I have reason to believe this is a bug in Premiere.

The bottom line is that the Adobe Tech told me that if I use MP4 files, that I will NOT have this problem. That is an inaccurate statement and like I said, I had mp4 clips and Adobe broke the sound on those too.

I just opened an entirely different project, and it had reference to the same MP4, as all my youtube videos reference this 5 second channel brand into, and it was Red and missing sound. Even if I re-add the file from my hard drive, it has no sound.

The simple solution is to simply make a copy (on your hard drive) of any file that is broken and then simply re-link the media to the new copy.

Obviously, however Premiere is processing the video files you toss at it, it's caching the data somewhere and after it breaks the sound, and you re-add that file to your project, it thinks it's already cached the sound and doesn't reprocess it, but if you make a copy of the file, it looks like a totally new file that has never been added to premiere and processes the audio from the file.

I keep finding more and more people this is happening to and it's also coinciding with Adobe updates and also always seems to happen when Adobe just magically decides to tell you that you are running trial software.

This needs to be escalated to Adobe because this has cost me 10 hours over 2 occasions. I'm just glad that now I can fix it in a matter of a minute or two, but this will cause others serious setbacks. The Adobe rep told me that I was screwed and couldn't salvage the project and that's no good advice.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 3:58:50 pm

You are quite diligent.

And I agree that this should be escalated, particularly if you can reproduce it with exact steps.

(as a software guy, I'm sure you can appreciate that)

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2016 at 4:19:44 pm

I did forget to mention one thing. This "could" also be related to dragging ONLY AUDIO from the preview monitor into the timeline, but I have not had time to try and reproduce that yet, mostly because I'm behind on finishing this project because of the troubles I have had and don't want to break it again, just to be right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]