ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

60fps slow motion - not working?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Strecker60fps slow motion - not working?
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 9:52:18 pm

Howdy. I have several clips of 60fps footage that I want to convert to 24fps slow motion. I have done this successfully a million times by going to "Interpret Footage" on a clip and changing the frame rate from 60 to 24 (ish). However, this time, for seemingly no reason, the footage comes out all choppy, and when I scrub through it, every other frame is the same as the previous one. So I went back to the original footage at 60fps and checked: it too only changes frames every other frame. But when I play it back it doesn't look choppy at all. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? It's driving me crazy because this has never been a problem in the past. Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment
http://www.youtube.com/JTSEntertainment

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 60fps slow motion - not working?
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 3:23:35 pm

Was this shot at 24p over 60P? If it was, you won't be able to conform it to get slo-mo.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James StreckerRe: 60fps slow motion - not working?
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 3:38:58 pm

What do you mean by "over"? I shot my footage at 60fps. Though I'm very slightly assuming at this point that I did something wrong at that initial filming stage, because I don't know why else this would be happening.

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 60fps slow motion - not working?
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:14:59 pm

[James Strecker] "....I'm very slightly assuming at this point that I did something wrong at that initial filming stage..."

That's what I'm thinking, too. I don't know your camera's specifics, but it's possible to shoot in 23.976, but record in 59.94, and I suspect that's what happened.
I'd double-check the camera settings, make sure it's set to shoot & record at 59.94p (aka 60p). Depending on your camera the image size may be limited to 1280x720 when shooting 60p. Shoot a little test footage with some motion in it, and see it it works better for you. Then you'll know for sure.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:30:11 pm

Thanks, Dave. I'll take a deeper look at that. I've never had this problem before, but I guess it's possible I just made a fluke. What I'm doing right now is just frame-blending the "missing frames" and it seems to be working out okay.

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

Mike DamianRe: 60fps slow motion - not working?
by on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:51:53 pm

look at the settings in Premiere. if the frame rate column is not visible in your project panel then open the info panel and click on the clip. This way you will know for the future.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2016 at 7:55:18 pm

The clips all read as 59.whatever frames per second, that's the weird thing. I've had an issue in the past where I've recorded at 60i instead of 60p, so I understand that. But this wasn't the case this time. Just a bizarre situation.

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: 60fps slow motion - not working?
by on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:48:18 pm

Hi James,

Have to ask, are you for sure in a 24p sequence?

And regarding workflow, you shouldn't need to conform the footage, simply change the Speed. 60p in a 30p Sequence is 50%, and 60p in a 24p Sequence is 40% to get best slow motion results.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]