ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Project Opened on Another Computer and Preview Files Are not Linked!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harrison GruberProject Opened on Another Computer and Preview Files Are not Linked!
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 8:49:34 pm

I can see these dang preview files on the drive but I don't know how to relink them and there seems to be no resources to tell me how. Help anyone????

Return to posts index

James StreckerRe: Project Opened on Another Computer and Preview Files Are not Linked!
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 9:55:20 pm

Right-click on a clip in your Project tab (where all your footage is listed) and click "Link Media," then find your original footage on your computer using the dialog box that pops up. If all your footage is in the same folder on your computer, then after you link one, Premiere should find the rest automatically.

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment
http://www.youtube.com/JTSEntertainment

Return to posts index

Harrison GruberRe: Project Opened on Another Computer and Preview Files Are not Linked!
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 10:26:55 pm

It's the preview files that are missing. My media is not offline.. So I rendered everything and when I reopened everything was unrendered again. But my preview files are all in the respective folders...I don't get it :((

Return to posts index

Tom LaughlinRe: Project Opened on Another Computer and Preview Files Are not Linked!
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 10:43:05 pm

When your render files go offline, when you open the project, it will report any unlinked or missing media, you re-link before the project even opens, including media render files. When you rendered before, it renders to a folder, find that folder, and re-link. Sometimes when the exact chain is broken, it won't see them. This also means ensuring all folders are named the same, from one computer or drive to another, to ensure seamless media and render file re-link. Render files stay put, they don't move, so I would check and ensure all folders, folder names, and files, and file names, are exactly the same. You can also try consolidating render files, by taking all your render files, and copying all to one single folder. Render files are placed in folders, according to the project name, and or date, every-time you rename your project, for example, new render folders are created.

So, open all past render files are in folders associated with the project name, if the project has never been renamed, then it should be just one render folder. If it opens fine on one machine, with everything on an external drive, it should re-link fine. If you open the project on another machine and render files do not re-link, there's something being saved in the wrong place, recheck all links or broken links back to the render files, and reverse engineer the link to the render files. Or, the other solution is to re-render on the new machine, and ensure render files are saving to the right spot on your external drive, and not some default place Premiere designates, you manually select the specific folder you want all new render files to render to.

Render the whole thing once more to one folder. During the rendering, you can access the render folder, and watch as the render files populate with time and date. If nothing is populating in the render folder while it is rendering, re-check where in the heck those files are going. Once rendered, your render files on your external should, in theory, link to the your project, so regardless of any computer you open it on, the render files should re-link. Every time you move to a different machine, the computer may not detect (at first opening) the project's render files, but usually it does, but if it doesn't, you only should have to re-link the render files once.

Sorry for the long response. I'm not sure if it could also be a media cache issue, try cleaning your media cache. I've also seen editors check the box "Save Cache Files to Originals When Possible", so I don't know if this would help or is related, but maybe or maybe not.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]