ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Article: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim WilsonArticle: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 1:57:19 pm

Field Production
“Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”“Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”

Before coming to Creative COW, before his lives in product marketing and product management at Avid and Boris FX, Creative COW Editor-in-Chief Tim Wilson ran a video production company. As we also observe the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the US Parks Service, Tim recalls one one especially memorable adventure to Everglades National Park, wherein he found himself quite literally up to his armpits in alligators. He had no idea that this was going to happen when the day began. At the time, he was focused on a brand new fear: getting sliced in half by burning underwear.

Editorial, Feature, People / Interview   2016/09/20
Author: Tim Wilson

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Nov 4, 2013 at 11:12:19 pm

Tim, the real reason to not wear the underwear was to avoid soiling it under those conditions:-) In the 80's and 90's I used to enjoy hanging out of choppers with the door off and my feet on the skid, Gaffer tape around the quick-release belt buckle and no safety harness (what were those?) a betacam on my knee, looking all badass... I did some more of it last summer, over the Chicago lakefront, skimming around offshore of Buckingham fountain, at around 30 or so feet above the water. It was a great time and I got great shots, but really, I find I'm kind of "over" it at my age, and with a family to take care of, I tend to leave those shoots to the younger guys now.

I did one shoot, back in the day, where we were low and slow over a stand of pines by a lakeside. The helo entered "vortex ring state", and started sinking vertically like the air had turned to quicksand. My Producer is in the bench seat next to me, his head buried in a monitor, telling me to "stop zooming, we can't use that!"

"I'm not zooming; we're falling!"

The pilot, an experienced Huey pilot and vet from 'Nam, dove us out of the vortex ring with my camera still shooting out the doorway, looking at a tilted horizon at about 200 feet. At about 50 feet, the shot levels off and a few seconds later, the top of a pine tree goes right by the door, just past the outer side of the landing skid and thankfully, on the side opposite the tail rotor. A buddy had the same kind of thing happen while running the "canyons" in a Jet Ranger skimming down the Chicago river from downtown out to the lake. We don' do dat over by dere no more.

The shakes didn't hit me until that night in the motel room when the Dramamine and adrenaline wore off.
I hate heights, but not when I'm in an aircraft. But turbulence and too-tight turns will sometimes get me nauseous, about 1 out of 3 times. Go figure.

They PAY me to do this!

Bottom photo: Crew Chief/door gunner position in a Blackhawk, recon of Mississippi River Flooding, Western IL, 90's

Return to posts index

Kylee PeñaRe: Article: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 3:00:57 am

I'm going to share this article with our interns tomorrow. Maybe it'll help them decide if they want to focus on field production or post in college!

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson@Kylee Wall
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 4:24:28 am

Kylee Wall:Maybe it'll help them decide if they want to focus on field production or post in college!

The answer might depend on how they feel about wearing underwear.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña@Tim Wilson
by on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:19:13 pm

Follow up on the interns' reading assignment:

They were greatly amused and a bit scared about what kind of reptiles life will be throwing at them as they enter the industry.

They are now concerned about the following things:
1. Underwear.
2. I have nothing else to put on this list.

Thanks for sharing! Going to keep this handy for educating the next generation.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:30:04 pm

".., the primary difference between an alligator and a crocodile is that nobody gets in the water with crocodiles."

Well just to be on the safe side, I'll choose neither.

Fun story.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 2:27:53 pm

Absolutely brilliant piece of writing and a great story, but this line was my favourite"

"Yeah, I'm the bird guy."

My pulse hasn't yet slowed down to normal after reading this ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 3:20:27 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words, Simon! Your comment inspired me to re-read the story. LOL We resurrected this story for the 100th Anniversary of the Parks Service, so I hadn't looked at it in a couple of years.

The amazing thing: not a scintilla of embellishment. This is HIGHLY unlike me, but the story was crazy enough that there was just no need. That's exactly how it happened.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 4:27:28 pm

I was enjoying the article until I got to the part where you mentioned you no longer wear underwear - that's a bit too much information.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Scott WitthausRe: “Before I forget: don’t wear any underwear.”
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 4:53:58 pm

Funny!

I was just talking to an old production buddy of mine the other day, marvelling at the crazy stuff we did a freelance shooters and producers. Sometimes the jobs didn't pay well, but when you look at some of the things we got to do, it's pretty crazy. Like alligators. In some ways, I consider myself incredibly lucky to have had those experiences.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]