ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Switching to Premiere Pro from Vegas Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek CharlesSwitching to Premiere Pro from Vegas Pro
by on Sep 18, 2016 at 8:33:38 am

I've been using Vegas Pro for 5 years -
I am used to using Adobe Lightroom -
I wonder should I switch over to using both Adobe platforms and leave Vegas behind?
Are there any major differences pros cons between switching to Premiere over Vegas?

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Switching to Premiere Pro from Vegas Pro
by on Sep 18, 2016 at 3:17:13 pm

I'll always welcome someone to the Premiere Pro family.

Without knowing specifically about you....

I'd say industry adoption of PPro is a good reason to know it.

This means, you can get jobs where it is used already.

and it means you can easily interact with others who use the Adobe echo system.

Those are good things.

Because Adobe is so big in this space, it's an easy case to make to say....it's valuable to know...

where I don't think I could make the case that you'd miss a lot of career opportunities because you didn't know Sony Vegas.

As to the technical ins and outs...I don't know enough about Vegas to answer. I know there are some common things that people come from Vegas miss when they move to PPro....

automatic transition creation when clips are overlapped...

non destructive clip objects in the edit..meaning when you remove a clip that is splicing another clip.....the
underlying bounds of the remaining clip object are restored...Premiere would make you trim the remaining clips back out.

Those are two that get asked frequently here by Vegas users.

Some questions for you....

1) do you feel like Vegas doesn't meet your or your clients needs technically?
2) do you feel like the Vegas software is being developed at a pace or in a direction that meets the needs of you or your clients?
3) Are your clients being particular about whether your use Vegas or not?
4) Are you looking to add more motion graphics and Visual Effects to you work?

depending on how you answer those questions, can strongly dictate whether you should invest the effort to join the Adobe ecosystem.

That's what I'd say anyway...

hope that helps....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Switching to Premiere Pro from Vegas Pro
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:24:01 pm

Derek, Alex has a lot of good points to consider. I used Vegas extensively for documentary and other small projects from 2010 to about 2014. I went through a variety of upgrades to it. I used it on a beefy Windows 7 64 bit machine with the latest state of the art graphics cards. I also use Lightroom a lot, and Premiere a little. Some After Effects and some third party video fx. I'm a one many shop, who hires others when necessary.

I liked using Vegas Pro. It was very intuitive, and was easy to learn.

The only thing I would add to what Alex said is that my biggest benefit from switching has been that I have gained stability. If you look back at my posts during those years in the Vegas group, I was always experiencing crashes. Sometimes multiple times an hour. This was with simple 1 to 4 camera timelines. I am extremely technical with over 25 years in the computer industry. I've been a beta tester on numerous product launches. I know my way around issues and have solved many very tricky problems. I think that Vegas has had a problem with their product testing for years. Whether that's a lack of resources, or management decisions is hard to know. I hope that spinning them off as they have done will help that problem not compound it. Time will tell.

I did testing when I switched, with the exact same footage, computer, hard drives and timelines. What I found was that almost from the beginning, my stability problems vanished with Premiere. Have I ever had a crash with Pr? Yes. But it's so infrequent that I don't even think about it anymore. Since then I've also had the ability to decide to move to the Mac from Windows, having disliked Windows 10. But in the future I am open to switching back. All these are just tools for filmmakers and photographers. I am not a fanboy of anything other than elegant tools.

Adobe has to survive by doing the work to make sure that their product is stable, which is fundamental to professional work. They cater specifically to the highest level of professionals, so I, a small time shop, don't need to think about it much. They have obviously dedicated huge resources to it over the years, as their problems are no where near as bad as the competition. While Vegas has had John R. and Douglas helping on their community boards, I don't feel that they have been able to get to the folks who have built and funded the product to get it stable. I appreciated their efforts at helping the community. Also, I did not want to go to FCPX, because Apple's unilateral, overnight decision to abandon it's entire base for upgrades, was as unprofessional a move as I've ever witnessed in the business. During my time with Vegas I also bought FCP 7 and an iMac and spent about 6 months working with it. It was a good product for it's time. I did my first doc on Vegas Pro but moved to FCP7 halfway through to get stability. I went back to Vegas for a while afterwards because of it's simplicity.

As for Apple, they really don't need FCP to make their money, they could dump it tomorrow. But Adobe needs their professional customers for everything they have built. It's about focus. Adobe obviously lives it. The only thing I don't like about Adobe is it's subscription service. But it has stabilized their revenue stream, so that's ultimately good for us, I hope.

Just to be clear, I have never worked for Adobe, but have owned their stock.

Good luck with your decision.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]