ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher KhouriHow to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 5:02:11 pm
Last Edited By Christopher Khouri on Sep 14, 2016 at 5:04:38 pm

I really want to know how to get the best result when color correcting multiple shots. Should i color correct shot by shot? If i do that will the shots look different?Should i put a sequence layer and then color correct it? What is the best way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 9:59:24 pm

The best way is to fix the problem at the source. Make sure your shots are properly exposed & white balanced. If you do that, color correction is rarely necessary.

Color grading is a different issue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 10:31:55 pm

Dave, that's not really fair. I mean, you can shoot with two different cameras and they'll look different, you can't always control that. And shoot in the AM, and then the afternoon, and they'll look different.

Color correction is done shot by shot. If you happen to have one shot that's the same, you can apply the same correction to that shot. And if you have two cameras that look different, then you need to do fiddling to make them match. HOW? That's a looooong topic, as that's the real trick around color correction. First off being able to read a scope like the Histogram will allow you to balanced shots without even looking at them.

This video is a great start...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher KhouriRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 10:35:33 pm

Aldrigt thanks. About color grading what is the best way to color grade? Shot by shot? Sequence layer? Is there another way?

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 10:47:29 pm

Color correction and color grading are two different terms for the exact same task. Color correction/grading can be technical and/or creative. Technical is matching shots and cameras to each other and getting a good overall balance. Creative is adding a distinctive and subjective look, like taking something that's neutral and making it look like it was shot late in the day. All of these functions are best done shot-by-shot.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 11:30:21 pm

[Christopher Khouri] "what is the best way to color grade? Shot by shot? Sequence layer?"

Shot by shot...as each shot will differ. Unless you have a sequence that's two angles that cut back and forth...then you color one angle, then the other...and then apply that grade to all the same shots in the sequence. So grade clip A and then Clip B...and then apply the A grade to all the A clips, and the B grade to all the B clips. If you did a sequence layer, and shots A and B were different and needed different tweaking, then you wouldn't be able to get it just right. Shot by shot.

[Christopher Khouri] "Is there another way?"

Not really.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver PetersRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 14, 2016 at 11:38:27 pm

[Shane Ross] "So grade clip A and then Clip B...and then apply the A grade to all the A clips, and the B grade to all the B clips."

The Lumetri Color tool allows you to do source-based grades, similar to Avid Symphony. Grade the first A clip on the source side and this correction will automatically be applied to all instances of this source file in the timeline. Same for the other shot.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpineRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:21:53 pm

I had no idea about source-based color grading. Wow, that's going to save me so much hassle!
Do I have to save it as a preset to apply a look to a master clip or is there a simpler way?

I'm really struggling with color grading since Speedgrade went away...

Nathan McAlpine
Commercial Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 15, 2016 at 4:12:42 am

Color grading is meant to give an overall similar look. You do it scene by scene, and it's just about the last thing you do before you say, "this baby's done". The last thing is transcoding for delivery.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 15, 2016 at 12:02:22 pm

I'd suggest downloading Resolve and training with that.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: How to color correct multiple shots in the best way possible
by on Sep 16, 2016 at 4:00:27 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 16, 2016 at 4:20:33 am

why is it that no video talk about overall hue angle? you need to be able to adjust hue globally to line up white balance in the scopes on the skin tone line. no video even touches this...and its baaassiiccc.
2015.2 had fast color corrector hue and 2015.4 had a global hue one but they removed that "update". anyone?

if I have many different shots that don't match, I neutralize everything to the scopes first. This way I'm not doing eyeball replicative fading from shot to shot or trying to match shots to each other. After all shots are neutralized, I plop a final creative grade in an adjustment layer, and bam! I'm done. No clip matching whatsoever!

neutralize clips by scopes only:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/394/32#35

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]