ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Question about 4k workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam mayfieldQuestion about 4k workflow
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:25:26 pm
Last Edited By sam mayfield on Sep 13, 2016 at 4:29:32 pm

I am about to buy the Panasonic DVX 200. I am also about to switch over from FCP 7 to Premiere. Can someone tell me what I should expect in terms of new workflow? Also, If I don't need to shoot in 4k will I have the option to only shoot in HD?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Question about 4k workflow
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 5:11:52 pm

[sam mayfield] "Can someone tell me what I should expect in terms of new workflow?"

That's a pretty tall order for an online post Sam. You will find Premiere to be very similar to FCP in many ways, including the option to use FCP keyboard commands, how, it will take you a while to learn where things are. And, you should definitely get yourself one of the online tutorials to get started properly, otherwise you will make mistakes that will cost you down the line. Remember, there's nothing worse in post than fixing mistakes that were easily avoided by simply taking the time to learn the application properly.

[sam mayfield] "Also, If I don't need to shoot in 4k will I have the option to only shoot in HD?"

Of course! Meanwhile, it seems you'd best do some more research on that camera, so here's a very nice and extensive video review.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

sam mayfieldRe: Question about 4k workflow
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 5:43:24 pm

I should have clarified - I have used Premiere but not with this kind of camera.
I would like to know what the process is for getting my footage ready to edit.
Do I need to encode the footage first (in a second party application - Clipwrap or Compressor or Media Encoder for example) or will I be logging and transferring data directly in Premiere?

Thank you for the tip on the tutorial video David Roth

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Question about 4k workflow
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:03:16 pm

Hi Sam,

Premiere does not need to transcode footage - you can immediately edit the native material from the camera card. Hopefully your Mac is new enough to handle 4k footage smoothly. The DVX-200 can record HD as well.

A nice benefit of shooting 4k is the ability crop/zoom/reframe in post. Meaning edit the 4k in a 1080 sequence in Premiere, then you have a lot of leeway to reframe, including simulated panning and zooming using keyframes with Adobe Motion effect. When editing 4k clips in a 1080 sequence, choose SET TO FRAME (right-click clip on PC, I don't know Mac equivalent) then when you reframe you get the benefit of all the 4k pixel goodness. If you edit at 720p, you can zoom even further! I shot a choir concert at 4k using wide angle of entire stage, then in post was able to get clean close-ups of individual performers, zoom, pan, etc. as if moving the camera.

TIP: Copy entire contents of SD card to new folder on your media drive. Copy ALL folders from card completely, not just video clips. Then in Premiere, find the Media Browser tab, usually at lower left, and Import your clips from there. This method provides best results, as Premiere will use the metadata from the folders to best handle the footage. For instance joining spanned clips behind the scenes.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

sam mayfieldRe: Question about 4k workflow
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:21:20 pm

This is super helpful. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]