ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Lights (voltage) fluctuated in a few frames of a shot (video clip)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve MarceLights (voltage) fluctuated in a few frames of a shot (video clip)
by on Sep 11, 2016 at 8:39:44 pm

While taking my shot the lights/voltage might have fluctuated for a fraction of a second and so it went unnoticed during the shoot... and now I'm in the post production phase and the fluctuation is visible in the shot; as in, a few frames are a little darker than the rest coz the lights went a little dim during the fluctuation...
The entire shot is amazing but there is this few frames that are a little darker in the clip... How to fix it..? Any help would be greatly appreciated... There's no way to capture it again...

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lights (voltage) fluctuated in a few frames of a shot (video clip)
by on Sep 12, 2016 at 5:32:04 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 12, 2016 at 5:59:05 pm

I doubt PP will be the tool of choice for this kind of shot repair. You'll probably have to rely on After Effects. It won't be easy, and the first thing the AE people will say is, "Well, that depends on the shot."

With no knowledge of the shot -- always a dangerous thing -- I'll speculate that you'll need to build a clean plate to substitute for those dark frames, and you'll probably have rotoscope work to separate the subject from the background.

So yeah, the shot can be saved in principle. Will it be easy to save it? I don't think so, but I really have no clue without a look-see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve MarceRe: Lights (voltage) fluctuated in a few frames of a shot (video clip)
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 8:35:17 am

Thank you Dave.
Well yeah i know suggesting a solution without actually seeing the footage is kinda tough and it sure is dangerous..
But is rotoscoping the only solution..? Can't we enhance the illumination somehow..?

Best,
Steve

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lights (voltage) fluctuated in a few frames of a shot (video clip)
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:42:34 pm

Here's the problem -- if you tweak levels on the bad part of the shot, you tweak everything in the shot. Which no doubt includes the subject in the foreground, which presumably remained well-lit. Then the subject would look crummy.

So how do you fix just the poorly-lit background? You have to separate it from the well-lit foreground. Then you can tweak it separately.... or better yet, substitute a new background, taken from before or after the bad section.

But how do you do that accurately? Not with PP's masking tools, which aren't made for this kind of work. You need something more sophisticated and flexible. In other words, After Effects.

Now mind you, I have to assume a lot because I don't know beans about the shot -- that's by your choice. But hey -- you want to use a screwed-up shot. You have to fix it. Maybe you CAN fix it... that's yet to be determined for sure. But based on my experience, I've got five whole American Dollars that say PP isn't the tool for the job.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Lights (voltage) fluctuated in a few frames of a shot (video clip)
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 5:28:52 pm

Post a private Vimeo link of the shot. We'd only need to see five seconds of the clip to give you better advice. Otherwise we're all just spouting extremely general info.

Dave, without having used the newest version of PP (since you constantly remind everyone around here that you're using older versions for stability) you probably haven't worked with PP's new masking and tracking utilities that might make this possible. If it can be done with a couple of keyframes and a quick mask in PP, Steve might be able to save a lot of time.

Post the clip, Steve. Asking for help without showing us the problem is like asking a mechanic to examine your car while wearing a blindfold.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2016 at 6:03:49 pm

[Blaise Douros] "Dave, without having used the newest version of PP (since you constantly remind everyone around here that you're using older versions for stability) you probably haven't worked with PP's new masking and tracking utilities that might make this possible."

Good point.

But not for long -- due to a workplace hard drive crash, it has been deemed allowable for me to get updated. Will the new install work as billed? Beats the heck out of me.

And I'll have a lot of catching up to do. Pray for me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Lights (voltage) fluctuated in a few frames of a shot (video clip)
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:05:53 pm

Best of luck. I've been pretty happy with the updates, and haven't run into anything worse than some indecipherable but workaround-able changeups of the way PP handles stereo vs. mono audio panning.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2016 at 12:21:31 am

An update for you, Blaise....

The IT Lady / Assistant Chief Engineer here at the TV station worked from noon - 7PM to install the Adobe CC 2015 Apps. She still isn't finished. It's time to consult with the folks at the Home Office on licensing. I now have an HP 820 that runs Avid MC 6. but damn little else.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]