ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier BonetAny way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 4:08:51 pm

This is something that takes up a great deal of time in my daily workflow. The best way I have had to deal with them up to now is to set CMD+D to default audio transition and add (manually) a 2 frame cross-over on the audio between clips either one by one (when there are other audio transitions in between) or by selecting several or all of them. Regardless, it takes some time. Especially in the first case: if I have several other audio transitions, say, to further smooth out a hard cut, I can't just add the 2-frame transition over them, undoing my work. This poses the first issue, because very late at night, after editing for hours, it is SO easy to forget where one did this and just lay the new transition over the old one.

Anyway, if this is a common occurrence, if very often I get those pops or clicks between the clips on playback and also in the final render, then I would assume there should be a way that Premiere Pro automatically smooth out the transition.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 4:47:39 pm

You can put effects in tracks so try using a declicker on the track instead of a clip.

Return to posts index

Xavier BonetRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 6, 2016 at 8:43:04 pm

Hello, and thanks for your response. Unfortunately, this doesn't fix my issue. The small pops that occur on the cut between video clips with audio is still very much audible.
It's incredible Premiere, being the popular video editing software it is, doesn't have in place a better way of handling the audio on cuts than this... one would expect not to have such issues. Or at least a tool that one can activate. Perhaps it's just an issue of activating something or other. But the truth is that if I don't manually place a small transition between every single clip (which is truly a very annoying hassle) I will have at least 10% of cuts that have a pop which ranges from a slight annoyance to a really big and disturbing pop...
Does anyone else have this issue? Or is it only me?

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:00:07 pm

This is operator error. You need to either have room tone recorded that you can lay under these transitions, or use a fade. Period. It's standard practice. Here's why:

This popping sound happens because an audio waveform travels up and down over the center axis as the mic diaphragm vibrates. That waveform is then sent to the speaker, which vibrates in conjunction with the waveform you see. If you cut the sound off when the waveform is at the top or bottom of the cycle, the speaker snaps from that point back to center, creating the pop that you're hearing. A de-pop filter doesn't work on it because it's not caused by a spike in the waveform. It's not a Premiere issue; this would happen whether you were in Avid, FCP, Premiere, Pro Tools...anything that edits audio.

You can get around this in one of three ways; use a fade at the beginning and end of clips, record room tone to lay under transitions, or zoom down to the sample level every time you make an audio edit, and make sure you cut the clip at the exact point when the waveform crosses the axis. Number three is a dumb way to do it, by the way :) Room tone is the best solution, especially when you don't have any other audio (like a music bed) to cover up the silence in between phrases.

Return to posts index

Xavier BonetRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 6:46:03 pm

Hello, Blaise, thanks for your response. I wouldn't call it an error per se: there are different situations for a video editor and some don't allow for such control of the audio recording as you mention. In this case I'm editing a daily vlog and, so, you can imagine that there's no opportunity to record room tone. Plus, recording and having to edit it in would be adding to my workflow rather than subtracting from it.
Anyway, I agree with you on all other points except that I think this doesn't have to be an issue in NLE's, there could be a function set in place that corrects for this, thus reducing some unnecessary work, in my opinion. The strange thing is, though, you mention this also happens in FCP and Avid and, although in Avid I've only edited more controlled audio/video (except on one documentary whose audio was all over the place), I haven't seen this happen as often as it does in PPro. Again, I don't know if there's any function in place that is keeping this from happening that much in other software, but although I prefer editing the vlogs I mention in PPro because of the easy cross-over between AE, AI and AU, clearly, I've also had to edit a couple in FCP and have found that this doesn't happen there...
At any rate, I remain content now with the fact that my shortcut solution is, for the time being, the easiest/quickest under the current circumstances of this project I'm working on.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Return to posts index

Matthew RossRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 7:51:34 pm

[Blaise Douros] "this would happen whether you were in Avid, FCP, Premiere, Pro Tools...anything that edits audio.
"

Earlier versions of Vegas would do a "micro fade" on audio by default at cuts to prevent this. The downside would be that if your audio floor was high enough you might hear that micro dip down and back up, but this default behavior could be turned off. Since Vegas came originally from an audio editing pedigree, I guess it's no surprise they tried to address this early on.

Return to posts index

stephen dixonRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:55:21 pm

I'm pretty sure FCP does this, or at least it used to.

Stephen Dixon
Editor, Animator, Motionographer
Museum Victoria

Return to posts index

Craig HowardRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 2:02:09 am

Seeing as you asked

I have never had that issue... now.... or in any version of Premiere.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:07:22 am

first set default transition duration in edit-preferences-general-audio transition default duration
then:

1. right click transition-set as default
2. highlight all audio timeline clips
3. goto sequence -apply audio transition to selection ctrl+shift+d

other thoughts...

are you cutting when the the waveform is small? it's called snap-to-zero crossings.
this is standard editing procedure. As is room tone for transitions. You can view and cut in premiere's waveform or use audition's snap-to.

snap-to-zero help
https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/selecting-audio.html

you can also render and replace as a single wave for audition's automatic click remover. easiest when picture is locked of course.
https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/noise-reduction-restoration-effects....

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2016 at 7:29:31 pm

Hi, Chris! Thanks for your response. The first solution is actually what I'm using now. Rather, a variation that I think is even a little quicker. As I said in my question, right now I've set default audio transition to crossover at 2 frames and have set the CMD+D shortcut to work for audio transition rather than video transition, as I generally prefer my cuts clean (by that I mean no transition) and due to this issue I'm having, I'm having to use audio transitions all the time.
I'm reading the info on snap-to-zero crossing, which is really interesting. Unfortunately, as my workflow goes (and it's already a rather heavy one), unless I have to clean up some audio or apply specific effects, passing through Au is just another step I won't be wanting to do.
As for editing keeping a close eye on PPro's waveform, again, the default-transition solution seems at this time to be the only viable one in my case and definitely the easiest/quickest on in any case, if you ask me.
Still, I must carry on with the opinion that this is an absurd issue to have in modern NLE's... clearly, no one wants final edits with audio pops between clips, it's not a formal choice, so I'm sure an automatic function in place that takes care of these as they occur will be all-around applauded.

Return to posts index

Saad KhanRe: Any way of automatically getting rid of those audio pops or clicks that often occur between clips?
by on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:49:05 pm

As I was reading, I was thinking of what Chris Wright has posted. Just to add to that, I would also change the duration of the transition to two frames and I think the keyboard shortcut to change the transition duration is Command Y. I also have to go through many cuts manually so I have changed default audio transition key to just one letter(Z), and I jump to the next cut by pressing the down arrow key and then I press (Z) if I think the cut needs an audio transition. There are other shortcuts you can use to move the playhead a few seconds before the cut before I play it to hear if it needs the transition. Hope this helps

Saad Khan
saadkhan1976@gmail.com

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2016 at 7:35:47 pm

Hi, Saad, thanks for your reply! As I said in my question, at this time I'm using a shortcut, much like your own solution. I'm currently using CMD+D to lay down 2-frame crossfades but, as you must know, because you say you yourself have to go through many cuts manually, going 1-by-1 is a real hassle... an unnecessary hassle, if you ask me, which I why I am still of the opinion that this would be better solved by an automatic feature, as I'm sure there isn' any AV editor out there that says: No, I like my audio to pop between cuts!
In fact, what I do, because I have tons of cuts every day, I just select all my audio and press CMD+D, and just lay crossfades throughout. Of course, that means I'm sacrificing being able to tweak cuts and crossfades between some clips in order to soften out the audio. At this point, I only do this when absolutely necessary. That is, when something sounds terribly wrong without it. If this isn't the case, I just select the entire audio track at the end and slap on that default 2-frame crossfade.
What I'm looking for is something that actually keeps me from having to do this in the end, which will save me a lot of time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]